I really need some reassurance....?

TheDavePhan

I'm a 22 yr/old male. Last night I had a severe panic attack. I have always had panic attacks, but they have never gotten this bad. Lately I'm always afraid I'm going to get dizzy and pass out. I hadn't ate all day and I was feeling lightheaded. I started to freak out about it and started to have a panic attack. I layed down on the floor and breathed into a paper bag for a little bit. But that just made it worse, I started thinking I was getting too much c02 or oxygen, whichever. I then stood up quickly and got even more dizzy and I went to lay down on a bed. I then felt like I was going to black out and I suppose I started breathing really hard and I felt like a mini-van was on my chest! My hands were drawn and I couldnt move them and my body was nearly all seized. My mom tried to get me to stand (I could not stand up) My mom at this point grabbed me and hugged me and rubbed me with a cold rag while my dad called an ambulance. I felt better in the ambulance, and I felt the same pressure in my chest once more, but it went away with the oxygen mask. At the ER they did an EKG and a Chest X-ray which were all normal, then about 3-4 hours later they did another EKG and some blood tests which were all normal. I'm still worried I had a heart attack. The Doc told me what happened was Textbook Panic attack/hyperventilation. Is it safe to say that after all those tests, and repeated ekg that I just had a severe panic attack?? I didn't know those severe symptoms could exist... Maybe someone has some similar story or some insight? Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I feel alone and I'm worried I had a heart attack even after all those tests, im slightly over weight and dont exercise much, because after exercising I feel dizzy and it freaks me out, nor do I eat very well.. Thank you.

gtrgrl3369

I used to get the same thing and its called hyperventilation syndrome. It is where you breathe too much from the top of your chest and not your belly. Next time that happens calmly lay on your bed and deep breathe from your belly slowly. Breathing about 6 times per minute. Make sure your belly is rising and not your chest. The doctors did not find anything so it was most likely a bad panic attack. Deep breathing takes practice, but once you get the hang of it it works wonders.

shon

My sister-in-law has severe panic attacks. She wakes up at night having them and has an ambulance come and get her. She usually thinks she's having a heart attack. She has the chest pain, heavy breathing, feels dizzy and worries about passing out.

She has some food allergies and one time a Dr told her she could die from eating the wrong thing. Now she's afraid to eat and the panic attacks are worse because of her fear. When she has one, she thinks her chest pain is because of what she ate. She's gotten to where she won't hardly eat now and she's had this problem for about 10 yrs (she's 30).

If you have the panic attacks a lot, you might want to consider a good meds for anxiety. My sis-in-law won't take meds because she gets paranoid about that causing an allergic reaction too. 8O

johnyboy

TheDavePhan said:
I'm a 22 yr/old male. Last night I had a severe panic attack. I have always had panic attacks, but they have never gotten this bad. Lately I'm always afraid I'm going to get dizzy and pass out. I hadn't ate all day and I was feeling lightheaded. I started to freak out about it and started to have a panic attack. I layed down on the floor and breathed into a paper bag for a little bit. But that just made it worse, I started thinking I was getting too much c02 or oxygen, whichever. I then stood up quickly and got even more dizzy and I went to lay down on a bed. I then felt like I was going to black out and I suppose I started breathing really hard and I felt like a mini-van was on my chest! My hands were drawn and I couldnt move them and my body was nearly all seized. My mom tried to get me to stand (I could not stand up) My mom at this point grabbed me and hugged me and rubbed me with a cold rag while my dad called an ambulance. I felt better in the ambulance, and I felt the same pressure in my chest once more, but it went away with the oxygen mask. At the ER they did an EKG and a Chest X-ray which were all normal, then about 3-4 hours later they did another EKG and some blood tests which were all normal. I'm still worried I had a heart attack. The Doc told me what happened was Textbook Panic attack/hyperventilation. Is it safe to say that after all those tests, and repeated ekg that I just had a severe panic attack?? I didn't know those severe symptoms could exist... Maybe someone has some similar story or some insight? Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I feel alone and I'm worried I had a heart attack even after all those tests, im slightly over weight and dont exercise much, because after exercising I feel dizzy and it freaks me out, nor do I eat very well.. Thank you.

hi i asure you it is a panic attack.we both have the same story.all result was 100% healty thank god.what you should do is salm yourself,think of happy moments thats what i do.realize that theres more sick people that really needs medical attention we are lucky because we are healthy persons all we have to do is fight,"its all in our mind" thats the truth read old post it will help.panic attack like the other member said it wont kill us the saddest part is we always survive.hehe :) :) you are not alone! :D