I need help...

So I've been on here for a month or two trying to work through my social anxiety. I hadn't told my parents or anyone. Now, three days ago (a day before my birthday) my boyfriend of 5 years broke up with me. It's set me over the edge. I don't feel like doing anything, can't even eat, and know that I have depression now along with my SA (I feel I was semi-depressed bc of my SA before, my now it's serious). I need to know what type of doctor I should go to.

My mother has a thing through her work that does 5 free sessions, and they sent a HUGE list of people we could call that is in my area. It took the lady no more than 15 minutes to send it, so I know it is not limited to the type of help I actually need. I want to take medication to help me out in the short run, but I also need to talk about things. I know some can/can't prescribe medicine, so what profession can prescribe AND help me through my SA and depression. Psychiatrist, Psychothereapist, psychologist??? IDK!

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Only a Psychiatrist can also prescribe meds and do things like CBT or therapy too. However that doesn't have to curb your choices, the others can recommend medication and you'll definitely get them by a doctor and many psychologists have different titles like psychotherapist etc. and some of them have psychiatry training too. Ultimately it depends on their specializations and person themselves. I'd seek someone who focuses more on SA, or anxiety disorders and knows about CBT.

Anyways sorry for all the bad in your life right now, a major break up is tough esp compounded on other issues, but you should take a lot of pride and good in the fact you aren't letting it topple you, it's driving you to seek even more help out NOW. It's courageous and I really wish you well.

Last edited:

Section_31

I agree with Phocas. your family doctor, if you have one, would be a good place to start. Mine did the same thing with me and my wife.