I need advice..

NickyNacker

So at the moment I'm feeling very stuck/helpless and I would love some advice..

In June 2008 I started having panic attacks and I was admitted to the hospital. I left with presciptions to Zoloft, Seroquel (for sleep), and Ativan. They also assigned me to a therapist. Throughout the rest of 2008 and 2009 I struggled with the anxiety and panic attacks and in 2010 I stopped having them and stopped using my meds and seeing the therapist (who I didn't like) and was only dealing with my social anxiety. Then in January of this year the attacks randomly came back. So I started seeing this therapist and she wanted me to get on anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds. The problem is I don't have a job because of my social anxiety so I don't have insurance (I live in the US). She said I could apply for Medicare but they'll probably deny me because I don't fit into the typical category of people that they accept. I'm a 20 year old male. The other option was to get psychological testing so that I can have something down on paper to show the government that I really need help so I could get some sort of disability checks. But I found out that the testing without insurance costs 2,000 dollars. Which I definitely do not have. By the way, if you're wondering how I pay for a therapist.. I have a very supportive family whose been chipping in and paying. But there's no way they could give me 2,000 dollars and I wouldn't accept it anyway. So yeah, I have no idea what to do. My only option left that I can think of is to force myself to get a job (I've never had one) so that I can afford insurance. But I'm terrified I won't be able to handle it with my anxiety or that it will give me worse/more panic attacks. I hardly ever even leave the house. Has anyone had or is anyone IN a situation like this??? I hope someone read this, it's really long. eek..

coyote

depending on where you live, there may be some local government programs that can help you - "community health services" and the like sometimes offer counseling and psychiatric services on a sliding scale

there are alot of programs out there that many people do not know about until they're in so much trouble that they are assigned by the legal system - many local agencies don't have the ability to advertise their services

but I'm sure they would much rather try to help you before you fall victim to the system

you just have to know where to go

check with your county public health department - they should be able to refer you

just look in the phone book under the government listings

NickyNacker

depending on where you live, there may be some local government programs that can help you - "community health services" and the like sometimes offer counseling and psychiatric services on a sliding scale

there are alot of programs out there that many people do not know about until they're in so much trouble that they are assigned by the legal system - many local agencies don't have the ability to advertise their services

but I'm sure they would much rather try to help you before you fall victim to the system

you just have to know where to go

check with your county public health department - they should be able to refer you

just look in the phone book under the government listings

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond! It means a lot. I'll definitely look into that asap.

bigcat1967

Just a guess - but since you are not working - I'm wondering if Medicaid could help. Maybe I'm wrong here...

NickyNacker

Just a guess - but since you are not working - I'm wondering if Medicaid could help. Maybe I'm wrong here...

My therapist talked about both Medicaid and Medicare. She said Medicaid was for old people or something and that I wouldn't qualify. But I just looked it up and see that it's the other way around... That's funny that she got that wrong.. thank you for commenting because now I know what to apply for!