I' m not feeling any positive improvement

joshueg

I ' m not feeling very happy lately. I have being going to the psychologist since February the 9 th (5 months) and am not feeling any improvement at all.
I don' t know what else to do. Should i look for another pschologist or should i be a little more patient and keep on going to the one i am going now?
I have lost the motivation i had before. :cry:
Sorry, this post is not very positive, i know :roll:

Hi Joshueg,

Have you tried ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy) yet? Maybe you can ask your shrink if he knows about it. ACT is like the next evolution of CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). There are some cheap ACT self-help workbooks available like the new one "Finding Life Beyond Trauma: Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy to Heal from Post-Traumatic Stress and Trauma-Related Problems" or "Living Beyond Your Pain: Using Acceptance & Commitment Therapy to Ease Chronic Pain". ACT has helped me a lot more than meds or shrinks. ACT uses our own values to guide and motivate. Hang in there.

joshueg

Thank you for answering, Sabbath, i thought nobody cared about my feeling this way!. Yes, i have heard about it, i will probably buy a book about it as soon as possible, because after a few months on therapy, i am feeling worse than before starting it.
Thanks again for your advice!

MelissaQu

What level do you think you're at with your anxiety? Is it severe or moderate? When I went to therapy about 6 months ago I felt like I was kind of in the middle, I could do many things but there were also many things I wouldn't dare do. With therapy I started improving slowly, and then I improved even more when I forced myself to do the things that I normally shunned.

I think it would really help if you asked your therapist where he/she thinks you're at in therapy. I remember I was about 4 months into it and she asked me how I liked coming to see her. So we did a small evaluation, or I guess you could call it that. Anyway, ask your therapist, then they can try other things with you because it's not worth staying with the same person if they're not going to switch things around for you. What they're doing might not work for you.

joshueg

Thanks very much, Melissa!, yes, i am going to therapy next friday and i will ask him what you told me.
I don' t know exactly what level of anxiety i am at, but i' m almost convinced it is the severe one, because my anxiety has turned out to be irresistible :cry:
I am going to tell my psychologist all i have been feeling this week and i' ll see what he advises me.
Thanks once more, Melissa, for telling me your experience!