I just started a new job... and i'm scared to death!!

darkhorse

*sigh* i dunno what to do.. i just got hired at a small stationary shop, and i was happy they thought i was good enough for it, but i'm so frightened of working at the register that i don't know what to do :( my parents are happy for me that i now have a job & am making my own money (that's the good part), but i'm so afraid that i'll never get used to it or screw up really badly. I thnk even my co-workers noticed this, my hands are all shaky and my heart's racing when i take out change from the cash register >_<;; and its worse when there's a line waiting, and people are watching me. i think my co-workers are understanding for right now, since they know it has only been 2 days working there for me, but what about weeks from now? i'll probably still be the same :oops:

sigh... i already messed up a few times in front of customers and i'm soooo embarassed. what should i do?? should i quit?? i get sick to my stomach just thinking about the next time i have to work, which is next wednesday. i don't wanna disappoint my parents, though... and i don't want to feel like a failure... i'm so confused. i wish i could do this :( please give me some advice, it'd be much appreciated.

redlady

I agree with what thoughtless wrote. The liklihood is that you won't continue to be like this in weeks time. In that time you will have become accustomed to your job and what you have to do - you will gain confidence when that happens and it will. Don't give the job away before you get a chance to see that.

redlady

Hi it's me again - I was just looking over what i wrote and realised its not as easy as that. I don't want to put you off or make you feel hopeless. Have you thought of going to a doctor and discussing what you are going through with them? I don't know your feelings about medication but if these feelings of anxiety don't lessen in due time, even when you get used to your job, i would think about trying some form of medication to help lessen what you are feeling. It won't take away your problems but it may make what you are going through a little easier to deal with. Anyway keep that option open - don't quit your job - that will only make you feel worse in the long run. You have done really well for yourself to get it, which you already know - because it made you feel happy - just remember that.
Good luck darkhorse - i wish you well with your job.

jenz

i understand just how you feel darkhorse...ive gone through more embarrasing situations but this was one type, working as a cashier which has been one of the more easier ones on me I just recently took this job some months ago...and thought the same thing..id mess up infront of customers and feel really embarrased and think to myself that I looked ridiculous infront of my customers, my supervisors, and my co-workers. Fortunately my supervisors..weren't so hard on my mistakes they understood that not all new employees will get it right the first few times. It took much longer for me than my other co-workers to get used to it....I had to do things id didn't like to do like shout across the room to get the customers attention. SO far my interaction with the customers have improved a lot ...they are the people I feel most comfortable with ... than anyone else at my job....now my interactiing with my co-workers and supervisors is a different stroy...I basically don't ....unless i need help ... it hard for me to hold a conversation with them ...while they are able to chat about whatever Im stuck alone or with customers...i think that you will gradually let go of feeling this way...it hard to believe I understand ..but I felt I was a hopeless case too... but I eventually liked the cashier part of the job.... the other parts though that involved talking with supervisors, co0workers, over the microphone are still issues though... hope that helped a lil :) and thanks for letting me know I was not alone in feeling this way!..

Introverted

Darkhorse I sooooo understand where you're coming from. I think I'm getting my first job soon. I have an interview this Thursday and although my parents have been pushing me to work and I'm ready to give it a try, I'm scared out of my mind. I have attempted to get a job in the produce area of the grocery store but the manager said she had already filled that position so I got stuck with bagging and training to be a cashier. I'm not looking forward to it at all because I know that feeling of someone watching my every move all too well and I know when I'm standing behind that register that horrible feeling will only be intensified. I can't imagine dealing with customers because of my lack of social skills, and I can't see myself ever becoming too familiar with my manager or co-workers no matter how hard I try. I mean when I go to the store now and I'm the customer I feel surges of anxiety, and sometimes I even go into panic mode, and though I try I just can't hide it well enough.

To be quite honest, unless I'm on some kind of medication I have my doubts that I'll be able to make it through a single shift without sweating bullets and looking like an ackward mess. I'm trying to stay positive, but it's in my nature to be realistic, and the reality of it is I'm probably going to feel sick as a dog before and during work each day. And so I think the solution for us Darkhorse may be doctors and maybe even medication. Otherwise my first part-time job may only last a few weeks.

darkhorse

Thanks everyone for your understanding and concern, a lot of what you guys said really made me feel better. I’ve been practicing working an imaginary cash register for the past couple of days by myself (since there’re so many buttons and numbers I can hardly remember them all!) and talking to pretend-customers, and it has helped a bit. I’m still dreading Wednesday but my fear has subsided a little.

Yeah, I’ve thought about taking some sort of medication, but I dunno how to go about getting that kinda stuff. My parents have no idea that I have any sort of “social anxiety” and do not want to tell them... I hide it pretty well, I think, in fact people probably take me as a very sociable, outgoing person.

jenz-- thanks for what you said =) never woulda thought that a social phobic’s favorite position would be cashier ^^; that gives me a lot of hope, maybe I WILL get used to it in time. Where do you work?

Introverted-- I’m sorry that you couldn’t get the position you wanted at the grocery store =( you’re very brave to take on the challenge (even though I can soo understand how scared you might be), I commend you for that. If i was told I had to be a cashier/bag grocery, I’d totally chicken out :( and yes, I hate that feeling of people staring at you… I feel like I have to hurry up or they’d get upset. Its very nervewracking for me, so far I haven’t gone through an entire day without my stomach tied in a knot and my breath getting short. Good luck to you in your interview, I’ll have my fingers crossed for you =)

By the way, introverted, did you just graduate from high school? (cause I did) ^_^

Carina33

Hey- it's good that you are trying the job darkhorse. My situation is a lot like Introverted's...... I just started working at a grocery store a week or two ago. It was like the weirdest thing for me to do. I bag groceries, push carts, mop, sweep, clean...help customers, but I can't be a cashier till I've worked there a bit longer. I couldn't believe it because I have to talk to so much.... and it was so scary. I think I am doing pretty well with being friendly with other employees. They think I am quiet, but not hopelessly quiet.... I can talk to them and stuff. It was really hard for me because when I bag groceries, I am required to say all of these things to the customers. I have already gotten talked to about it a couple of times. It's just hard because I have to repeat things that the cashier says. They will offer the customer help out, and then I have to do it right after them, and it makes me feel like an idiot. Some days I feel so bad, because I am too afraid to even open my mouth. I feel like that if I try to say it, they won't hear me at all, and I will look like an idiot, so sometimes I don't even try. Anyway... I have gotten a little better..... I just make myself say it, even if I do have to repeat myself. It's dumb.... but I do practice. I say it over and over, so that I know that I can see exactly what is loud enough for them to hear me. And for regular mistakes.... I make them all the time. I just ignore them, and all of the people looking at me and I just try my best. Anyway.... I am sorry for how ridiculous this all is...sometimes I just talk and talk about things. But good luck still, in your job.