I have to write a resume but...

ozkr

I have no skills.

I've been trying to write a resume but I always find myself stuck when trying to write about my skills because I don't have any.

I've been searching everywhere for tips on how to write your skills down and found some sites that tell you how to use "soft skills" ,which are skills like "self-motivated" or "good communication skills". How can I even come up with stuff like that if people are going to realize I don't have such skills when/if they interview me? I feel kind of self-concious ,and I don't really feel like embellishing my resume with stuff that doesn't really describe me because I'm afraid of looking dumb.

I worked as a dishwasher and prep-cook for the last three years (during the summer season) and I hated those jobs but I took them because they don't involve a lot of social interaction. I dind't have a chance to develop any real skills in those jobs, at least skills that I can use in the kinf of job I want to apply for .
Now I'm kind of desperate for a new job and for any experience that I can get from it for future jobs. Can anyone help me with some advice or ideas?

So far ,this are the only skills I've come up with:
-Experience with Microsoft Office (Word,Excel,Powerpoint)
-Fluent Spanish
(boring,huh?)

maggie

hey ozkr, i really think you do have some skills..sometimes it's just hard to figure out how to put them down on a resume. The computer skills you have are worth putting, and also being fluent is Spanish is a huge plus. That alone could give you an edge in certain jobs. Here's just a few ideas that could tie in with your summer job: 'punctual, hard worker, who assumes responsibility easily', 'willing and able to handle wide variety of tasks', 'proven team player', 'able to make sound decisions in a challenging work place'....stuff like that can help to fill in some space too :wink: good luck :!:

koyaanisqatsi

Hi ozkr,

I've been there. Do you have a friend or co-worker that you can sit down with? It's hard for us SPics to describe _ourselves_ in a positive way, but a friend, co-worker, or classmate is looking at you from the outside. We SPics tend to see ourselves as if looking at a miror that completely distorts our image, figuratively and literally. Someone you trust can help you. Many books out there. If you're going to school, a job counelor can help you.

The soft skills you mention in your post are fine in a resume and they should come through in your Cover Letter. A CL is pretty much mandatory and your communication skills should show up there. The CL should show familiarity with the company you are applying to, so do some homework on that.

Embellishing? Tough question. I think small amount is OK, probably some is expected, but DO NOT overdo it. DO your homework on any embellishment.

Make sure you mention your jobs as a dishwasher and prep-cook for the last three years (during the summer season). Don't say you hated them. That your were willing to take jobs like that, decidedly unpleasant, shows that you are willing to take any task on that was required of you. You don't expect to get the high-profile jobs right away. But, you may get them. If you show you can and will do the unpleasant tasks with a good attitude and your results are excellent, you _will_ be appreciated. You're hungry/ambitious and willing to work. I hired a lot of people for my small project (I no longer have it), and I _always_ gave resumes of a person who showed a willingness to work hard and do a task well, even an unpleasant task, a second and third look. Quite often, that person got the job if they met minimum requirements because I valued work ethics as much and maybe more than someone who lists the perfect skill set.

One page resume and one page cover letter. Most managers are busy and lose interest easily. I once got an 18 page resume, which I simply tossed out. Once you get an interview, you're nearly there. Do your homework for that as well--show them you know a good bit about the company and the type of work they do. Maybe outline things you might want to say and memorize it. If something comes up in the interview that you have outlined, you will impress the interviewer. But, don't sound coached.

Go get em!

k

ozkr said:
I have no skills.

I've been trying to write a resume but I always find myself stuck when trying to write about my skills because I don't have any.

I've been searching everywhere for tips on how to write your skills down and found some sites that tell you how to use "soft skills" ,which are skills like "self-motivated" or "good communication skills". How can I even come up with stuff like that if people are going to realize I don't have such skills when/if they interview me? I feel kind of self-concious ,and I don't really feel like embellishing my resume with stuff that doesn't really describe me because I'm afraid of looking dumb.

I worked as a dishwasher and prep-cook for the last three years (during the summer season) and I hated those jobs but I took them because they don't involve a lot of social interaction. I dind't have a chance to develop any real skills in those jobs, at least skills that I can use in the kinf of job I want to apply for .
Now I'm kind of desperate for a new job and for any experience that I can get from it for future jobs. Can anyone help me with some advice or ideas?

So far ,this are the only skills I've come up with:
-Experience with Microsoft Office (Word,Excel,Powerpoint)
-Fluent Spanish
(boring,huh?)

I'm in the same position. I've been working at Walmart as an overnight stocker for almost three years now, and I'm so tired of it and ready to move on to something more professional. But I stick with it because I know it, it involves little social interaction, and I'm scared of the professional world. A friend of mine said he could get me a job working in a laboratory with him, which sounds like the best entry level job in the world right now, but like you, I don't know what to put on the resume because I don't feel as if I have any qualities/talents/skills. But what I worry about even more is the interview. My friend has given me tips as well as examples of questions they'll ask and information I'll be expected to provide. To me, it sounds just as bad a doing a presentation in front of a large audience. You have to go in there and sell yourself for 30 minutes or however long. I can't even carry on a normal conversation! I bought some books to help me out, but I feel that whatever I learn will fly out the window as soon as I'm in the interview. It's a very depressing situation.

koyaanisqatsi

hi strangelittleboy,

I guess I'm addressing anyone here. But if you _truly_ believe you have no skills, maybe you should take some classes to pick up the required skills. There is no easy way to get where you want to go, but nothing will as bad you you fear it will be.

I think being an overnight stocker at Walmart would drive me crazy very quickly. I don't think I'd like the Walmart culture.

The interview is usually the scariest part. But think of it this way. If you get an interview, they have some interest in you. That should help with confidence some. Of course we SPics often have ways of minimizing the positive. You have a friend who wants to help. You know you should take him up on the offer, but that SPic paralysis sets in before we know it. If you give in to the paralysis, you'll probably stll be at Walmart in another 3 years.

One last thing. You mention that an interview "sounds just as bad a doing a presentation in front of a large audience." It could happen that you would be interviewed by 2 to 5 people at once so save time for them. That never happened to me, but it could happen.

I think you just have to take the process one step at a time. Don't worry about the interview now. Take the first step by putting together a resume and Cover Letter. Your friend can help. If there is a local state employment office, a counselor there may be able to help you with the resume and CL. Second, make sure the all spelling is absolutely correct and that the information is well-formatted/easily read, and mail at least one copy of the resume and CL in to the company. Third, if you don't hear from them within about two weeks, go ahead and call them and talk to someone at their Human Resources Division. Inquire as to whether the resume and CL were received, continue to show some enthusiasm, and ask if they need any additional information from you. Fourth, be ready for a screening phone call--they _may_ call you to ask a few questions as a screening step. Don't fail to call them right way, if you miss their call.
Fifth, they ask you in for an interview! Be prompt, dress appropriately for the position, and do some homework about the company and the position you're applying for. But it's quite possible that someone has seen your resume and thinks you are a good fit for a position other than the one you applied for--so the interview _could_ be for a another job. They should tell you that so this is not a problem. With a little luck you'll get a job; if they are a good company they will at least send a letter informing you that they have selected someone else for the position. BUT, you may get a call for that position for another position, possibly with another interview, months after you submit your resume. I myself hired a couple people whose resumes had been received by my company nearly a year before I saw their resume. A company may not actually make a hire for the position until they have the contract/work for the work they require you for. Don't give up.

I've made it sound easy. I know it is not. But don't worry about an interview _that you may not get_. One step at a time is more than enough to agonize over. Of all the jobs I've applied for since leaving the Army, I think I'm batting about 90%. Of professional jobs that I had to go through all the steps about for, I think I'm batting 75%. NO, it was never easy for me. Sleepness, drunken nights. Almost constant background anxiety that I didn't understand (I wasn't consciously thinking about the job application) until became I'd wake up in the middle of the night and lay awake for hours. Small consolation, but I've experienced much of what you are now experiencing. Think of the consequences of not trying!!!!!!

good luck,k

strangelittleboy said:
I'm in the same position. I've been working at Walmart as an overnight stocker for almost three years now, and I'm so tired of it and ready to move on to something more professional. But I stick with it because I know it, it involves little social interaction, and I'm scared of the professional world. A friend of mine said he could get me a job working in a laboratory with him, which sounds like the best entry level job in the world right now, but like you, I don't know what to put on the resume because I don't feel as if I have any qualities/talents/skills. But what I worry about even more is the interview. My friend has given me tips as well as examples of questions they'll ask and information I'll be expected to provide. To me, it sounds just as bad a doing a presentation in front of a large audience. You have to go in there and sell yourself for 30 minutes or however long. I can't even carry on a normal conversation! I bought some books to help me out, but I feel that whatever I learn will fly out the window as soon as I'm in the interview. It's a very depressing situation.

ozkr

Thanks for the advice! Yeah ,I agree with this not being easy, and it sucks when obstacles that seem so small seem so big in my mind. For example, after I wrote down my skills (with your help),I still had problems with the cover letter because it was like the skills section but with more stuff! I'd rather do someting else just to avoid doing it, not because it seems hard or something but because it seems very intimidating because I have this fear of screwing up or being laughed at, which gets worse when you're giving up information about yourself.

I applied for a job already, let's see what happens. And I agree with you koyaanisqatsi,the interview is really scary.
If anyone needs help with that part of the awful process of getting a job, videojug launched these videos today (what a coincidence!):

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-why-did-you-leave-your-last-job

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-why-dont-you-tell-me-about-yourself

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-what-are-your-strengths

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-what-are-your-weaknesses

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-why-should-we-hire-you

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-where-do-you-see-yourself-in-five-years

http://www.videojug.com/film/job-interviews-when-do-you-expect-your-next-promotion

I hope you find them useful, I think they're good. (it's so weird! I asked my psychologist about ways I could answer these questions a few weeks ago!)

koyaanisqatsi

hi ozkr,

The Cover Letter is more difficult than the resume for me as well. It's very much like introducing oneself, which I have a very hard time doing.

I showed my resume to several people I respected. Only two of about 6 said it was OK. Part of the problem was my Apple's Appleworks to MS Word translation lost some of the formatting. But still, I found that almost everyone wanted to make some changes. In most cases I did not make the recommended changes. I think the people I showed my resume to were Type-A personalities----they just felt something had to change ;-) !

k.

Hey koyaanisqatsi, thanks very much for the advice! It gives me encouragement, especially to hear that you've been through this and come out alright. You sound like you are in a management position, have you overcome your SA?

koyaanisqatsi

hi strangelittleboy,

I did manage a small project for about 18 years...I was also the senior and usually only programmer on the project. I worked at the customers site and usually had good managers. But, finally, I ran out of luck. I got the two managers from hell...one was very dishonest in his dealings with people he supervised and very incompetent; the other was a bully. Many highly skilled people left before I decided I had to. I couldn't hang on any loonger with the 60 to 80 hour work weeks that I was putting in, while my managers rarely put in 40 hours. The reality is, though these two bozos thought they were cleaning up our group, they drove the very best people away...I bet they are still not getting work done as before. That was July 2002 and I haven't worked as a programmer since then. I'm afraid my SPia has become much worse. I've moved back to my home town in a severely economically depressed area and may never work again.

k.

strangelittleboy said:
Hey koyaanisqatsi, thanks very much for the advice! It gives me encouragement, especially to hear that you've been through this and come out alright. You sound like you are in a management position, have you overcome your SA?