I have really bad social anxiety

mysticamor

Hi all,
I'm so glad I found this forum. I've kinda been lurking around here for a while and I finally decided to post. Well first of all I am 18 and lets see I have never been to a doctor or anything about my problems but I know that I definitely have social anxiety.
First of all it all started when I was 15 and I just started losing friends and everything. I became very withdrawn from everything and then I left school. Now what is really dissapointing is that I use to be an academically bright student. Had I been at school and finished year 12 this year I probably would be in Uni right now. My life has really been messed up because of my fear of social situations. I hate it and now that I am 18, I just really want to get over it. It has ruined my life. I can't stand it and what it has done to me.
I have not left my house basically for 3 years now !!! I have turned against all my friends and everything. They don't even bother talking to me anymore. I never see them anymore or go out. I have only perhaps gone out maybe 3 or 4 times the past few years. I hate going shopping and all that and going out all together. I can't stand it. So right now I currently have no friends and life sucks. I tried getting a job and everything. But you know what I just become all nervous and freak out. I fear that I am turning out to be very agrophobic and I would hate that.
You see I use to be normal and outgoing but then all of a sudden a lot of things started going wrong in my life and now I have become completely anti-social. Anyway, I just want to know if anyone is similar to me.
Has anyone else spent long periods of time away from the world?
Three years has been a really long time now and I am seriously becoming very depressed and suicidal now. I hate my life. I really hate this fear and I realise I'm gonna have to get a life and a job and everything sometime soon. I really want to change and I hate being like this. I hate myself right now and this problem that I have.
Anyway, yeah thats just my story. Sorry for long post.

mike_sp

Welcome.
Dude, i think we can all relate to you. We all want normal lives back.
Posting here means your fed up and want to change.
You've started taking a positive step forward so try to keep momenum.

After i found this site and read up advice from others and saw a GP and got some medication for temporary help.
Next step is therapy oneday.

just try.

sensitive

mike_sp said:
Welcome.
Dude, i think we can all relate to you. We all want normal lives back.
Posting here means your fed up and want to change.
You've started taking a positive step forward so try to keep momenum.

After i found this site and read up advice from others and saw a GP and got some medication for temporary help.
Next step is therapy oneday.

just try.

i guess you should do as mike_sp did, you need to see a doctor and get some medication (it will probably help) then seek for therapy later. i am sorry becasueyour life has been ruined becasue of SA :( , we all deserve to have a good life like others. welcome you to here dude and make your self at home. i hope you have supportive parents, family. tell us later if you will have done anything :wink: .

Pearl

I can totally relate to your circumstances. I started to withdraw from everyone when l was 12, and haven't recovered from that. I spent 5 years in my 20's basically hiding from the world, and l still don't face people much. The fact that you're so young, 18, means you have a fresh slate if you can get help with it now. Also, that you were outgoing, those qualities are still in you, laying dormant, you have to access them somehow. When l was 18 l thought things would miraculously improve, l still kind of think that, but they don't, it takes alot of effort. Ten years on l still don't know what the solution is, but l do know it's better to face problems and feelings than be in denial. Good luck and don't give up.

You see I use to be normal and outgoing but then all of a sudden a lot of things started going wrong in my life and now I have become completely anti-social

hello and welcome, i can very much relate to this part of your post as i believe it was a series of bad events that ultimately caused my SA and gradually made it worse in the end. but you just gotta try and not dwel on them (can happen to anyone), and focus on improving your life step by step. with going out like to the shops etc i found that the more i did it the better i became you just gotta forse yourself to begin with. as for everything else i am going to be taking the huge step by going to therapy soon, i think you should do something similar......as for not finishing school and going to uni don't feel too bad, i finished school went to uni got my degree only to find my course wasn't really suited to me and was practically useless at getting a job in anything (basically a 3 year waste of time and money) and besides you should never feel like its too late for all that stuff you can do it whenever, however i think you should sort out your SA first, as i found uni to be a difficult place for someone with SA, however i eventually did get through it nonetheless and i'm not even that bright! good day 8)

mysticamor

Thanks you guys. I'm going to try and get help, but I don't have enough money for psychatrists and all that. But yeah hopefully I will get through this soon. It sucks having this problem.

Chilling__Echo

hey there and welcome. everyone's posted some great advice but i have to put my two cents in too. you mentioned being on the brink of suicide and depression, if you have to walk into a hostpital and tell them that you're suicidal to get someone to listen to you, do it. then tell them your probs and get some help!

there IS a way out of this disorder, no matter how far you fall into it, there's always a way out and you CAN recover from it. it just takes alot of work and determination. hang in there, you'll have brighter days one day. feel free to vent on here no matter how long the post :D

jonny

please help!!!

hey, iv bn masking social anxiety for the last 5 yrs but has been getting alot worse over the last few mths and my mask is definetly slipping and i hate it. iv tried to various therapys...currently hypno which hasnt done a thing so far. anyway the main reason for this post is that iv decided to askmy gp wot meds he suggests might help....i was wondering if any1 else in on meds and if so which sort???....do they really help? and how do they make u feel?....i have a major problem woth awkward eyes...shaky lips, blushing......reeeeallly getting me down....meds should hopfully give me the confidence to reverse my negative thinking. cheers for any help