i had a ackward situation yesterday

Lotrsfan

My dad flies model areoplanes and he goes up to this field and flies them, and i sometimes come with him to watch, I get scared though coz i don't really like it when theres other men flying up at the same field, when we drive up there, i tense up when we get to the field and look into it to see if there are other people up there or there cars are parks there. Luckily though there was no one up there last night, it was only my dad and I. But whilst my dad was flying his plane and i was watching i kept looking over at the enterance of the field to see if there was any other cars coming in and i'm saying to myself "please hope that theres going to be no one else turning up." But then there was a car that turned into the field, and he got out and brought his planes up to where we were hanging out. My dad knows him from the flying club meeting, and god he's fit!!!! :lol: he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and looks as if he goes to the gym as well as flying planes, and i was abit embaressed coz i was just sitting on the grass watching them both flying and inbetween they stopped to talk about their planes and i was kinda ackward just sitting there, saying nothing. and i didn't really talk to my dad coz i was worried he'd hear what i was saying. :lol: Then one time my dad went back to his car that was parked a few yards away to get something, and i was left with him and he'd just landed, and he was sort of fiddling round with his plane and i was just looking around, trying not to look at him, and coz there was an ackward silence he asked me something but coz i have a slight hearing problem and he was talking quiety i couldn't hear what he said so i just said yes thinking it's a yes and no question but i don't think it was and i was so shy to say sorry or parden, coz he stared at me for a while and then went back onto his plane. but then he asked me something else, and this time i did say sorry and he asked me if i fly and i just said no, i didn't really make a long conversation out of the question. But for my mistake of mishearing his first question, i felt embaressed and was glad that my dad was finally packing up and going home. I don't like making a complete fool out of myself in front of a fittie :lol: and i'm thinking that i don't what to go with my dad anymore, incase he's up there again, and he'll think "oh, there's that girl again."

My slight hearing problem is also the cause of my social phobia. :cry:
What would you do if you were in this situation. Would you have a Anxiety attack in the field? would you tell someone "sorry or parden" if you didn't hear what they were saying? Have you ever misheard someone's question and answered it wrong?

IanM

yea thats happened to me plenty of times, especially with people u dont know, coz u cant really predict wat they re gonna say, so u only have to choices answer yes or no with the hope that its a yes or no answer or just say sorry i didnt hear, i have a slight hearing problem, i think for you lotrsfan telling them u ve got a hearing problem will help them understand why sometimes u answer questions wierdly and therefore take some weight off your back. but yea i think that happens to people like us and to 'normal' people too, so try not to worry about it :)

Mysterioux

Lol, gah. : o I hate when stuff like that happens.
I'm kinda in the same situation, except both my parents fly planes. And by that i mean planes and gliders. Real ones. This means that almost every weekend i'm also stuck in a field, with not just one, but loads of fit guys. And i'm too nervous to talk to ANY of them. They're mainly young adult kinda age, but sometimes they bring their teenage sons along with them, and a couple are around my age. <3 It's kewl knowing my way around and being allowed in every room and hangar, no questions asked.

But thus, i run into a lot of people, and i have the same sort of conversation problems, usually answering monosyllabically.
I think IanM started to mention it, your best bet is to suck up all your courage, and even if you say it quietly, try and say something like "sorry, i've got a small hearing problem in my (left/right) ear. (I used to have a hearing impediment in my left ear, and saying it's only in one ear seems to make it so you're less at risk of them disliking you because of a disability.) What did you say?"

Or somethingsuch.

Good luck in the future! ^^

Lotrsfan

thanks you two for replying :) nah in the future i don't really want to say to someone i have a hearing problem coz then i don't want them to talk to me like i'm deaf. I'll just say parden and sorry if someone says something quietly next time, then i don't cause embaressment.

Mysterioux ~ this man was about in his 25's not too old and not to young and i heard he's got a little girl, also it was quite hard to tell what his age was because he wore sunglasses and didn't take them off. i'm kinda glad that some of the flyers don't bring their sons or daughters up there with them to watch when i'm there, coz :lol: well it's a great way to make friends, but i wouldn't know what to say and stuff.
So when the flyers bring there sons up there, do all the boys kinda hang out together, and you are sort of just sitting on your own or you just go off for a walk around the hangers to avoid them?