I can't believe I've just done this!!!

IceLad

I've had a really rubbish week at work where I've just wanted to quit even more than usual. One of the few things that has been keeping me 'going' is a local rugby match to look forward to today. Anyway, I was on my way to the ground when one of my work colleagues caught me from behind. He asked me where I was going and in my panic I said I was going shopping, because I know that he supports the same team and so was very sure that he was going to the same match. Thoughts such as explaining why I was going on my own or whether he might ask me to join him raced through my mind and justified my answer of 'shopping'.

In my panic, I dithered whether to still go to the match after he had left me, or to indeed go shopping. In the end I changed my mind and went shopping at the last minute. I was so scared that I might see this collegaue at the match, and so be caught out lying.

I can't believe social anxiety has made me go to such lengths! I feel like screaming!! :x

Chilling__Echo

you were caught off guard, instead of beating yourself up for it, try and see what you need to do to change it. we all do stupid things when we're caught off guard. i can comfortably do a presentation in class easily with enough time in advance, but if it's an one the spot thing, i'm sweating, blushing, shaking, and i just want to cry.

try to learn to relax as things come at you. don't feel like you have to immediately have an excuse, it's ok to be vaugue if that makes sense. take care and let it roll off your shoulders.

redlady

McShy wrote:

It's just that first god-damned step.

Yes it is - and no matter how many times you actually push yourself to take that first step and find out for a FACT that nothing is ever as bad as our minds would have us believe - the next time is just as hard. I don't understand that, empirical experience means nothing to this phobia yet it is the source of a 'cure' for every other one.

redlady

Ah the one after the hundred - that's the secret - i have never quite made it that far - with this in mind i will try harder and hopefully reach heaven.
Thanks for the support.