I bring people together, but am not present myself...

lilmutegirl

Sometimes I feel like my purpose (or one of my purposes) in life is to help other people get together. I often find myself looking for things that people I know have in common (music, hobbies, etc.), even if it is something I don't share with them.
I also have noticed that people tend to not accept my (very rare) invitations. I recently group messaged 5 people on fb,since I have some free time this week without my son. Three replied: one is unavailable due to work and her obligations to her own kids, one is available (the one with whom I spend the most time), and one thought she may be available any but one day. Well, when I asked person #3 if she would want to hang out yesterday, she said she was suddenly busy, and not able to.This happened once before in a very similar situation (I invited a bunch of people, she said she was able to hang out, then backed out). Anyway, after her revelation, the other two (who had not yet responded) piped in, and one invited everyone to visit her at work (at a restaurant), and the last one said that she might take her up on it. They appeared to be addressing each other directly.
So, basically, my idea of a group outing turned into me hanging out with one person, and a couple of other people getting together without me...