I bombed a social situation today (i think so)

ph650

I've been doing lots of downhill skateboard meets with people from a skating website. For awhile, I felt really confident and felt I meshed really well. Today took a downward turn...

I was skating with these two mid-teens. I felt so socially inadequate compared to them (and I'm 27). Nobody ever actually said anything definitely negative to me. I just kept obsessing over the finest details and coming up with negative conclusions.

Not really in a mood to cover the hangout in detail. Before you say "why don't you hang out with people your own age?", I would. Being the sport it is, it's difficult to find those skaters. Even with them, I feel inadequate. Do I prefer their company? Absolutely.

danstelter

Meh, all you had was a bit of a step backward, which is something that can be blown off and forgotten. I have felt this way too at times in life, and what I learned is that like you, generally most of the time I have been doing very well and felt much more confident. So, I wouldn't worry about one day of feeling inadequate, even though you were feeling inadequate compared to people you believe you "should" be more confident than.

Just do your best to let go of it, whenver it pops into your mind. And, be sure to give yourself credit for going out and taking risks. This will help you to get better in the long run, even if some days do not go as well as you would like. Give yourself a pat on the back for going and sitting through the difficulty instead of running back home and hiding!

Great work you're doing, it seems, especially if you are feeling confident fairly often!

stand_up

Yeah, no permanant damage done,.. it was just that day, that time, that state of mind/mood. Good times are still by default.