Hyperthyroidism

cm123

Despite having a blood test done and having my thyroid levels come back as normal I am beginning to think think Hyperthyroidism is the cause of my HH. After digging extenseively in my family's medical history I have found information that shows my grandmother has had thyroid problems. Coincidentally, as a child she had HH of the hands and feet.

Since it is possible for the common blood test to not pick up the thyroid levels accurately I am thinking about seeing a thyroid specilist.

Has anyone here had thyroid problems? Or Thyroid Problems in their family?

WastedPotential

Interesting, now I'm curious -- my mom has Grave's Disease, I didn't know there was a correlation between hyperhidrosis and hyperthyroidism. Is there anything that can be done?

cm123

Interesting, now I'm curious -- my mom has Grave's Disease, I didn't know there was a correlation between hyperhidrosis and hyperthyroidism. Is there anything that can be done?

There are EXTREMELY strong correlations between hyperthyroidism and HH! A simple google search can elaborate more on it. Thankfully hyperthyroidism can easily and effectively be cured. I am going to see if I can get saliva test............

bigchris

Despite having a thyroid blood test I believe, I shall ask my parents tomorrow if there is any hyperthyroidism in the family, although I doubt there will be as they would have mentioned when I had my earlier test.

i had it and as a result i was on the brink of death with it before i was admitted to hospital, my granmother had it and her kids all missed it but i got it, and has a result from the thyroid problem i got diabetes from it!!!!!!!

isweatandwat

There are EXTREMELY strong correlations between hyperthyroidism and HH! A simple google search can elaborate more on it. Thankfully hyperthyroidism can easily and effectively be cured. I am going to see if I can get saliva test............

I am post hyperthyroid and have had HH since i was a very young child. There is a direct correlation. The worrying thing is that HThyrodism can go undetected by individuals living with HH as symptoms are very similar, hot flushes, excessive sweating, restlessness...... If you find that your hands tremble alot and you also have a burning sensation in both your ears, sometimes some HT sufferers also have eye discomfort... any of these signs then go see a GP ASAP.

Jezza

Hey guys,

I've had the TSH, T4 test done twice (not T3). But it wasn't positive for HT...it was a little strange though;

You know, if you read the symptoms of HT, it reads like a discription of me, and it's not only my subjective assessment either, since in fact, earlier tests did show my blood pressure is pretty much too high if you consider my age, weight and the fact that I don't smoke or anything. It would be on the verge of being to high for any invidual, so for me, quite a bit higher than you'd expect (I'm not in exceptional shape or anything, but just for general health info), which together with the sweating and all, was one of the concerns for me why I ought it to be a good idea for it to be tested. Should be standard procedure for anyone with HH really, but that's another story...

Anyway...The testing showed markedly elevated TSH (about 3 times the highest normal value) which indicates HYPOthyroidism. They usually start treatment for this if TSH is elevated 4 times the highest normal value but obviously I don't have any of the hypothyroid symptoms, which figures, because my T4 level was still well within the normal range and actually on the high side of the range (but not elevated).

2nd time, same results, but less 'dramatic', TSH slightly lower and T4 slightly lower. T4 still within normal range...

The doc agreed that the result and me (high BP but no overweight, HH) contradict each other, but give no option to treat anything obviously. It could indicate that I'm about to develop a thyroid condition, so maybe I'll check it again in a year or something.

So, cm...long story short, check it out, but having the symptoms unfortunately doesn't equal having the diagnosis. If you look at a some diseases (for instance also pheochromocytoma) you think, hey, that's me...I have hoped that many times I found it so I could treat the underlying condition. I still think it could be something similar like that that is yet unknown, some neuropetide/transmitter that is excessively produced somewhere in the body...But anyway, I hope you're in luck. Whatever you do check the values...Don't just let your doc say it's normal. If the results are boarderline he/she might not tell you in the interest of keeping the patients mind at peace (although, with all the lawsuits going on in the US that might be different) but I for one like to decide that for myself. You never know what good they might do you in the future. But sometimes of course, normal means normal.

Last edited: