Hyperhidrosis: My Life

sabola04

Hyperhidrosis: My Life

Wow, where do I begin. I am 23 years old and have been living with Hyperhidrosis since I can remember. I have Primary Hyperhidrosis in the hands, feet, underarms and even my face at times. I was always known to have cold and clammy hands when I was a kid and even still. This condition has been a nightmare for me.

I have become good at hiding the fact that I have HH but there is no escaping it. I avoided shaking hands, changed my clothes multiple times a day, constantly buying new clothes and shoes to replace the ruined ones from the sweat, washed my hands a lot. If I were out at the club/bar, I would always hold my drink in my right hand, this way if I were going to have to shake someone’s hand; my excuse for a cold wet hand was from the glass.
Having a job can be difficult at times; starting with the interview process. Imagine shaking your possible new boss’ hand with your sweaty one. This shows nervousness and weakness, which I am not but that’s how I come across to people. At least that’s how I think I do.
Having an office job and working on the project im on, I constantly meet new people and handling paper; its like a bad dream and cant get away from everything that is scary.

I do consider myself very out-going, friendly, and fun-loving and HH at times can put a stress on my personality. Hyperhidrosis will take over your life and I think about it 75-85% of my day if not more. HH has held me back at times. How do you tell someone that you are interested in that you don’t want to hold their hand when your out because of the sweat. I was always jealous of the guy and girl that could hold hands. That might seem like something so small but for me its one thing I was never able to do.
The man I am with now knows about the hyperhidrosis, I don’t think he understands or realizes how bad it really is. I still find myself hiding my hands from him for fear he will consider it gross.

I have tried some ways to make it better but nothing has seemed to really work….until now. I have been on Robinul for over a week now and I don’t think I could ever go without it. I am only on 1g twice a day for two weeks and then will increase to 2g twice a day. I can notice a difference already. I understand the side-effects and understand that if I were to do a physical activity that I could die from not sweating. Obviously im not a moron and wouldn’t push myself that far plus I haven’t read anything yet on someone dying from this. I made sure to talk to my doctor about everything and understand how to control myself and taking this drug.

I feel that now I am able to somewhat control my HH. This hasn’t cured me 100% but it definitely helps. I haven’t really had any side effects yet. Noticed that my mouth and eyes are a little more dry than usual, this may increase when I increase my dosage to 4g a day.

I have also used botox in the underarms and will agree that that has helped me out, but I needed something to help all areas affected by Hyperhidrosis. My doctor informed me that I can still receive Botox injections under my arms while I am on Robinul but I don’t think that will be necessary since Robinul seems to be working.

I’m sure we all agree that having this medical condition is stressful, can put a damper on self-esteem and will take over your life if not treated. I hope that everyone who has Hyperhidrosis gets the chance to finally know what it feels like to be considered “Normal” and not sweat.

I think im on the track to what I consider “Normal” – a non-sweaty day LOL.

I’m sure that I have more to share but we will save that for another time.

Please feel free to message me and share your story or ask questions.

sabola04

Thank you very much, i will defnitely check out the site and read more about it....which i can honestly say i have heard of it but never looked into it.

Nicholas

Hey sabola,
I think I met you in the chat, where you mentioned your HH.
Interesting story... anyway, it seems you've managed to "survive", and you're doing good. :)
My HH is generalized and the worst part has mainly been facial so far, and it's affected my life completely, and that's not hard to imagine. Now I'm trying to think of something and do something about it, because I'm sick of this crap and I want a life anyway, LOL.
Good luck :)

sabola04

Nicolas...Thanks :) i definitely have learned to try and manage my life with stupid HH. Dont get me wrong, HH gets in the way and there are days i want to break down but I cant let this tear my life apart...its bothered me for so many year and now im finally doing something about it...I wish you the best and hope you can somehow manage yours too..I wish everyone with HH could experience what its like to be "Normal" which i have yet to experience but hoping one day i can.

Good luck to you too!! :)

Jezza

Another very familiar story...

Hopefully I can get my clammy mitts on some glycopyrrolate when I see the next doc next week.

T

thanks

I just want to say that robinul caused me to be confused and gave me acute memory loss.

I gave it up. Watch out for these side-effects...I have a really strong memory and I knew something was strange when I would forget basic things. To make matters worse, try writing uni exams confused. :(

Sweat wise it was great...stopped most of it. However, giving up my memory and my marks wasn't worth it.

sabola04

Some what of an Update:

So yesterday was a good day. I didnt sweat at all, from when i woke up in the morning to shower until this morning, i havent sweat. I was able to wear the same outfit all day lol. Something so simple like that really made my day. AND it was a white button up shirt, which normally i would sweat right through but no, i was dry and able to wear it the entire day. Also, i was out for a Hockey game at our usual bar and we had some new people show up, but since i was already confident that i had been dry all day, i was able to shake their hands with no anxiety that i would sweat or what their opinion would be after shaking a clammy hand lol.

Obviously i hope i have more days like this and continue to be more confident. I'm actually going shopping this Saturday and cant wait to buy something other than the usual colors i buy.

I understand that Robinul may not have the same effect on everyone or may not work for everyone, but you dont know unless you try (if you are able to in your county or with your insurance).

We will see how the year goes on with the different season changes - summer should be a challenge; but i hope not.

surfsider

i duno it's prob cus the sweat cools the skin and since they sweat often it leaves them colder. it also could be from circulation. At least my hands arn't as cold or sweaty now that i treat them with iontophoresis but i'm too lazy to do it on my feet but i should.

gg1101

Based on the avatars in here we have some good looking girls in this forum. Guys don't care if you sweat. We think its sexy.

We can hold hands and watch them drip if you want. :)

OMG, my friend with hyperhidrosis will be so happy I'm sharing this with you! Getting this message out is important with her.
She has sweat buckets her whole life and did all the "normal" treatments. I was talking to her one day and suggested GABA amino acid. She picked some up at the health food store and her sweating decreased by 90%! She was so happy because it's really embarrassing for her, as I'm sure you know.

Hope this helps!
Jen

sabola04

UPDATE: I am now on the full dose of Robinul, 2mg twice a day. I can honestly say that my HH has improved 90%. Most days I am 100% dry with no sweating at all. My only side effects are sometimes dry mouth and eyes but I would rather have that than sweating. I am able to use lotion now, which before I wouldn’t use because it seemed to always make me sweat more. That was probably all in my head but I can now use Lotion daily.
My quality of life has improved and I am more confident. FINALLY, I can offer my hand first in a hand shake. I went shopping and bought new colors of clothing and feel GREAT about myself. I hope that everyone with HH can experience this feeling of normality.

Jezza

Just got word from the doctor that I won't be getting it here in the Netherlands. They're willing to give me artane and oxybutynin which are also anticholinergics but with more side effects because they cross the brain/blood barrier but not glycopyrrolate, because they 'have no experience' with it.

It's just a completely retarded system where cost and I guess liability fears reign over trying to provide the best care for patients.

So now I have no option but to get it through grey import, which is not very appealing to me cause you're never really sure what you're getting.

yeah, my feet get really cold and sweaty too. why is that? why do they get cold?

The reason they get cold is a circulation issue.

People with HH tend to also suffer from other "miscommunications" in the nervous system which can affect everything from sweating, body temperature, circulation, digestion, even interpretations of pain.

It's why there is a high % of people with HH that also suffer from other conditions such as IBS and fibromialgia.

Last edited: