hyperhidrosis diary

smith2007

hi i am one of the unlucky people who have hyperhidrosis :( I am 17 and have had hyperhidrosis ever since i cud rememba and i hate it. Hyperhidrosis effects me in the hands and feet and has been such a problem 4 me especially when i shake hands or touch other people. I finally decided enough is enough and i would go to the doctor and try and find a cure 4 this terrble condition. I have created this diary as a day by day of how treatment is going. Enjoy reading lol

7th December 2006 - see the doctor

Today is the day i see the doctor, i have finally booked a appointment. Well it was quite embarisin talking bout my condition with the doc but at least the hard bit is over. The first thing he says is i must do a blood test :eek: to rule out some conditions. This blood test has been booked 12th december 2006, will write back to tell u's how it went 8O

8th December 2006 - Takin measures into my own hands (literally lol)

Well a day after seein the doctor i have decided to see for myself if i applied normal deodrant (lynx) to my hands whether it would control the sweating. The answer was quite simply no it didnt, but a suppose there was no harm trying lol.

10th December 2006 - Thyrotoxicosis

Today i have been doing my usual hypehidrosis research on the internet and came across a condition i may have, i dont no if there is any link with hyperhidrosis and Thyrotoxicosis. Thyrotoxicosis is an over active Thyroid and releases more than the usual amount of thyroid hormones into the blood stream. I was curious when i seen the symtoms and found i have many of them.

According to the NHS the symtoms where:
Constant body movement, as of severe anxiety (i certainly do this e.g. when someone is staring at me i always figit or if am waiting to do a presentation am always moving about in anxiety)
A fast and sometimes irregular pulse (dont no aint checked my pusle lol)
Irritability (I can get angry sometimes, not often tho)
Warm clammy hands (certainly clammy, wudnt say they were warm, always cold lol)
Sweating (well do i need to answer that 1)
Shakiness (A shake quite a lot)
Muscle weakness (Yes, sometimes am so weak i cant b arsed to do owt lol)
Tremor (yes, most certainly, i always have a uncontrolled shake nearly every day)
Vomiting and diarrhoea (no none of these 2,never)
Scanty or absent periods (afraid that doesnt apply 2 me lol)
Loss of weight in spite of good appetite and large intake (yes i can eat lots of junk but never seem to put on weight, i do the opposite)
Palpitations (Yes i do have a irregular heartbeat sometimes it reaches 126!)
Great dislike of hot weather (neva fussed on the weather)

Well thats wot i think, c wot the doc thinks wen i nxt c him. If any of u's no about the relation of hyperhidrosis and the condition i jus mentioned please tell me more

12th December 2006

Well today was the day i had the blood test. I was very nervous bout it and as usual my hands were sweating like hell. I thought the blood test would hurt but it actually didn't. Am really glad its over. Am not entirely sure what they were testing for but they put my blood into 3 different tubes. ( i must say they did take a unbelievable amount of blood lol). Well just got to wait for the results now, should be a couple of days so al write back then with the results.

17th December 2006

Well am still waiting for the blood test results, how long do they take? Also i am meant to be meeting up with a girl 2moro but am really worried my hyperhidrosis is really gona effect any kind of relationship with her. Wel i may go meet her 2moro but the good thing is its cold weather so i can wear gloves and hide my sweaty hands lol.

21st December 2006

I still cant believe i have still not been contacted about the blood test, what shall i do? And the date went good these past few days, perhaps coz i wore gloves 24/7 so she wudnt b able to feel my sweaty hands, but if this lasts as long as i hope it does then there are gona b times wen i cant gloves and am scared of her reaction

bill-uk

Hi the diary thing is a good idea, I hope you can keep it up sa it may give clues to this condition, or at least what makes it worse.

I've often wondered whether certain foods or drink affect my hyperhidrosis but have never sat down and monitored it. I do think my weight affects my general condition aned how I generally feel and I'm about 1 stone overweight but then again at times when I've been slimmer, I've still suffered from this condition in hot weather or with minimal exercise.

Last week, at the age of 46, l I finally had a blood test to see whether diabetes or thyroid problms were the cause of my problems.

It came back negative and in a way I was gutted, I sort of wanted a reason and hence a cure to be found for this condition but its not to be. I am just a hot and sweaty person and getting hotter as I age it seems!!!!

Good luck with your diary, I look forward to reading more .....