How to go on about it?

anomicdeer

How do I tell my doctor I want help? I just got a new doctor after moving and finally deciding to get a physical which I should have gotten a year ago.

How do I let them know I'm ready to be diagnosed and start meds?
I've really been self-diagnosed and I know I don't only have anxiety and depression. Will they have me take a quiz or something? Recommend me somewhere into the city where I'm unfamiliar?

What?

Sacrament

I'm not sure a regular doctor is the best place to get a psych eval. Look for therapists around your area and try to find out which ones are the most effective at what they do.

NamiraWilhelm

We're always advised to go to our gp's first though? I imagine that's why she's going there.

You mean you're hesitant to confess it to them? You just have to blurt it out! Once it's out there you can go with it. It's hard to first vocalise to someone but just blurt out something like 'I'm finding my mental problems debilitating and I'd like to seek professional help.' Then follow their lead. Ask about meds or if they can recommend a therapist etc.

How do I tell my doctor I want help? I just got a new doctor after moving and finally deciding to get a physical which I should have gotten a year ago.

How do I let them know I'm ready to be diagnosed and start meds?
I've really been self-diagnosed and I know I don't only have anxiety and depression. Will they have me take a quiz or something? Recommend me somewhere into the city where I'm unfamiliar?

What?

You can go to your doctor and say that you're having problems with anxiety and depression - my experience with depression is that they do give a quiz, a sheet of paper with a list of questions that they will score; then they will maybe suggest medications and refer you to a psychologist.

anomicdeer

You can go to your doctor and say that you're having problems with anxiety and depression - my experience with depression is that they do give a quiz, a sheet of paper with a list of questions that they will score; then they will maybe suggest medications and refer you to a psychologist.

Ok I'll ask them anyway

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Firstly I want to say well done! It can be a hard decision to try and get help.
Yea your local doctor is the starting point. He will asses you and decide how to proceed further.
The key to visiting any doctor is to make sure you give them clear and accurate information.
Without that they wont get the full picture of what is going on and that leads to less effective treatment.
Good luck anomicdeer :)

Megaten

Yeah like Kihira said, during checkups they ask about that sort of thing. Im guessing they'd recommend you to a therapist if you told them you were having issues.

anomicdeer

Yeah like Kihira said, during checkups they ask about that sort of thing. Im guessing they'd recommend you to a therapist if you told them you were having issues.

Yeah I figured going there would be okay because when I was 12 I told my dr I wanted to see one but I didnt want to anymore after that :/
But now I will see what will happen. I wish the appointment was soon.

ScaredToBreathe

When I first wanted to get help for depression, I told my doctor how I was feeling and he tried me on some common SSRIs at first and then gave me a referral to a doc with more mental illness expertise. Your doctor might do something similar and try you with some commonly prescribed meds and contact a psychiatrist who can further assist with treatment, or may recommend certain resources/facilities that deal with mental treatment.