How to get the Most Out of Therapy

WhatTheF

I started therapy a few weeks ago (I'm three sessions in) to help deal with my issues (which I see as SA, procrastination, stress, depression?, etc.). I'm looking to see if anyone has any tips on how to maximize the effectiveness of it. Since it is costing money plus since it's only 45 to 50 minuets I want to get as much out of it as I can because I'm desperate for some relief.

I seem to have trouble describing some of my feelings (partly I think because I don't even understand them). Also my sessions are on Saturdays which works for me in the sense of scheduling, but Saturday is generally 'my best day'. By that I mean that work brings out my issues and triggers a strong emotional response (in that it causes me to have to deal with people a lot and I end up procrastinating a lot which in turn gets me it stresses me out and depressed). However, on Saturday being removed from that I find I am less able to give just to my issues when I try to talk about and describe them. Yesterday I started writing down thoughts and such. It comes of a bit long and kind of rambling. I'm not sure if I should take it with me and read it to my therapist, if I should give it to them to read, or if I should try some other method all together. Again any advice on how to make the most of my therapy would be greatly appreciated!

gmilne

Banned
I found for myself what helps me the most when I see my therapist is just being as open and honest about my thoughts and feelings as I can. I think it would be a good idea to keep a log of your thoughts and let your therapist read them if that's an easy method for you. I know I thought counselling would be the last thing effective for helping with SA but it helps having someone to talk to and listen to who for the most part understands somewhat of what you're going through. I also try to apply whatever techniques or advice she gives me cause it usually does help.