How to get over the awkwardness after failure of public speaking

Canres

Today I was asked to stand up and share some feelings in front of a group of people. I panicked in such a way that nobody would fail to notice that something is wrong with me. I have to see them every week. How could I face them? How am I supposed to behave?

Sacrament

They probably felt empathy, and never gave it another thought. My suggestion would be for you to go back and just own it. Smile and tell people you got nervous, or if/when you speak again make a joke like 'well, here's to hoping I don't make a mess of it like last time.' If you learn to laugh at yourself you'll become more confident and things will in turn become easier.

Last edited:

Canres

They probably felt empathy, and never gave it another thought. My suggestion would be for you to go back and just own it. Smile and tell people you got nervous, or if/when you speak again make a joke like 'well, here's to hoping I don't make a mess of it like last time.' If you learn to laugh at yourself you'll become more confident and things will in turn become easier.

After the whole event, they were a bit awkward to talk to me.
I don't know if some of them would stop looking into my eyes next time when we meet.
I appreciate your advice.

Sacrament

Were they awkward towards you, or was your mind telling you they were acting differently? If anything, they were probably 'scared' that you felt bad and didn't want to talk to them.

Canres

Were they awkward towards you, or was your mind telling you they were acting differently? If anything, they were probably 'scared' that you felt bad and didn't want to talk to them.

Both, I guess.
But if it's due to my mind, how can I get over it?
My biggest fear is to be deemed as weak, and now I have everyone seeing it.
I feel sad when I think about how some of the people are going to look at me now, though I believe that some of the people have genuine empathy.
Simply telling myself that I don't have to care for other people's opinion doesn't help. Is there any other suggestion?

Sacrament

Yes, just laugh it off. Think of how small it is in the big picture. Did anyone die? Did you hurt yourself in any way? No. Lots of people feel nervous during public speaking, it's a nerve-wrecking thing to do. But if you learn to accept the anxiety you feel and just shrug it off, you start caring less about stuttering/fumbling words, and focus more on how proud you are that you did it despite being nervous. Instead of being terrified that people are going to look at you weird because of what happened last time, just smile and make conversation about it. Tell people about how nervous you were, and that you wanna keep doing it so the fear subsides. Remember that courage isn't absence of fear, but feeling the fear and doing things regardless.

SadSally

If they ask you what was going on say you were having a breathing problem, like asthma. Or just say you were feeling dizzy for some reason.
Don't worry. When I was in school, I messed up a speech on the first word, knocked over the microphone, stuttered and tripped infront of an entire auditorium. They laughed in the moment, but you need to remember most people are selfish and do not think of you the second you leave their eyesight.

Also, I mentioned this in some other thread already. It helps to dehumanize the people who intimidate you. Just imagine them eating poop and having sex with a donkey.