How to get out of the social anxiety mindset?

Ryguy2598

There's a party that I'm going to tonight and I'm a little nervous about it. I don't want to go and experience SA which could lead to me not talking much or to awkwardness......So when I go I don't want to be in that SA "mindset." Because when I have SA it's usually the mindset or mood I'm in......Times when I'm carefree, sociable, and having a good time my mindset is different. And we have all experienced those times.....so my question is how were we in that different mindset at those times? How did we get there? Beer or alcohol did the trick for me a few times......but many more other times it wasn't these substances.

Then the question would be; ''how can I keep myself calm and relaxed?''. :3

And the answer is to that, is to value yourself at the same level as the people that surround you- and know that their opinions are biased to situation, mood, incorrect interpretation and point of view. You're not a SA'er, but a person. That's important to remember. Also remember that you're just as worthy as them, and that non of their opinions (good or bad) are the circumstantial truth.

Use established methods of which you know that they effectively relax you. Take a drink if you know that it's going to help. But, don't over do it, of course.

And lastly; you're there to have fun. It's not a judge-fest, but a party. Everyone there is there to have fun. Most will not judge you because that would force them in a negative mindset.

Last edited:
I still haven't figured out how to get into a non-SA mindset and haven't experienced it since I was a small child... even when I'm somewhat relaxed and able to converse with people, I'm still guarded.