How to get on Paxil

Lethargy

I have school coming up in September and I am pretty distraught from my social anxiety. I was in college 3 years ago and it was a bad experience because of my social anxiety. So I need this under more control before I go to school again. I hear paxil works well (i dont care about the sexual side effects) and I would like to get on it. How do I go about telling my doctor I think I have social anxiety. I feel pretty embarrassed about it since I live in a small town. How do I go about getting treatment for this? Is there any other ways besides seeing a family doctor?

redlady

Are you afraid that your medical information will make its way into your community? Well if the doctor or other staff there have any concern for their careers that will not happen. You have a right to confidentiality and of course it will be kept if you seek treatment. There is just no way around it - in order to get a prescription you will have to go to a GP.
You know i have been to a few doctors in my time, and all of them have been sensitive towards me. I know it isn't easy - i have been there, the first time was very difficult for me - i actually had visions of the doctor sitting there and laughing at me - just for the record...it didn't happen, she was lovely.

Lethargy

Yeah I definately realize my fear is irrational. What things did you tell yout doctor in order to be diagnosed as having social anxiety? For me I believe I suffer from anxiety outside of socializing as well.

Lethargy

My social anxiety is at its all time highest now.. im basically living at a recluse. I still have friends but I just don't feel comfortable around them, I'm definately at my end of dealing with this problem I really need help for it.

redlady

I know it is easier said then done - but you have to go to your doctor. They will help you - they wont laugh at you - tell you to piss off - be a jerk to you - THEY WILL HELP YOU. They are a professional person who will act accordingly. But they do need you to tell them what is going on - tell them what you have written here. Tell them the extent that it is affecting your life - what you went through at university - about your anxiety at the thought of going back. It is affecting your ability to lead the life that you want. They will also know of any mental health care in your area that you may want to utilise. Go to your doctor because they will help you.