How to act natural in a room full of people?!

SilentAndShy

So there was an impromptu event taking place at where I volunteer, an event to recognise an awards ceremony held and the nominees/winners present.

I was invited along which I went to. I went there to write up the event for our website and to try and mingle with the winners to ask for a further story we could do with them.

I sat on a table with one of the winners and struck up a conversation, albeit slowly and without major confidence but reserved.

The event finished and there was a networking session. I got details of the winner of the table I was sat at and then recognised one across the room. She was on her own (no way I would have gone over had she been busy with other people) and I walked over, stumbled abit and introduced myself and got on with my pitch. She was lovely and genuine. But the room was loud in conversation so I wasn't as focused in my listening but tried to keep the conversation going. I shook hands and got her details. Lovely. Just one last one I thought.

I walked over and the winner, who was shy himself, said it should be fine and to speak to his supervisor. OK. She was standing near him so I went over, and introduced myself in the hubble of the noise and her face went abit blank and she said, "Sorry, who are you?"

At this stage, I felt my tie was suddenly converging around my neck even more, I felt all uncomfortable and I felt like I was blushing (I'm South Asian so probably hard to tell) and my skin felt *****ly. Luckily my supervisor interjected, made a quirky remark and I carried on with my pitch although it wasn't smooth as the one before.

On the one hand, I believed it was a good experience to get used to these situations but on the other, I thought I guess I didn't look natural as other people do networking in a busy room. I stuttered abit, and meh, just wish I'd been more calm and relaxed but it's hard when I've never done this sort of thing in a personal or professonal capacity because I'm very shy.

Thoughts and advice hugely appreciated.

Froggy246

Hi
I don't think you need to worry about a thing, you mentioned a little hitch at the end but that was all smoothed over, I bet not even noticed by the 'winner', especially if you say was also shy, he would have be been concentrating on himself, or even feeling relieved that you are someone he can relax around.
Good team work with you and your supervisor,
You should congratulate yourself for a brave and successful evening! Feeling the fear and doing it anyway, I have a huge amount of respect for people who do that.

SilentAndShy

Hi
I don't think you need to worry about a thing, you mentioned a little hitch at the end but that was all smoothed over, I bet not even noticed by the 'winner', especially if you say was also shy, he would have be been concentrating on himself, or even feeling relieved that you are someone he can relax around.
Good team work with you and your supervisor,
You should congratulate yourself for a brave and successful evening! Feeling the fear and doing it anyway, I have a huge amount of respect for people who do that.

Just to clarify, that it was the winner's supervisor who said who are you and made slightly edgy. :) Thank you for your words.

I've got another chance in this sort of busy environment as I'm attending the Xmas party at a hotel as mentioned here so hopefully can take the positives from this experience into the party and with it being a more relaxed atmosphere, should hopefully help me. :)

Someone on another forum I visit said:

Dunno why you'd feel odd In a room full of people, you're genuinely nicer and smarter than most ****ers I know.

Say it loud and proud dude, you ****ing rock.

Made me chuckle and gave me some confidence

Last edited: