How many use alcohol when they are tense?

Anonymous

drink

yea it does help and i do it.i find though anything more than a few drinks makes me silly and so i know i wont help myself make an impression.one drink is harmless and may help

Flax

There are some people that I see that seem very mellow and easy going, and I suspect it's because they smoke weed. Because I've been around them when they aren't smoking and they seem very tense and anxious. I sometimes wonder if it would chill my nerves if I smoked it, but I have a compulsion to stay away from it. I have been 21 for a while, but I've never bought alcohol and I don't feel like it. I do drink in safe company sometimes, but rarely. I become more easygoing when I drink, and if I drink too much I act like an ass. I like drinking shots with high alcohol in it because the only reason I would drink in the first place is because I want to get buzzed. And why should I bother drinking a bunch of beers that taste like shit, when I can swallow a few shots that taste terrible, but get me in the right state, quicker. Basically I only drink in a very very safe environment and if I don't have to go home afterwards.

Anonymous

Hi Flax, Everyone...
No two people are exactly the same, everyone's chemistry is different, that why various medications will have different effects on individuals.... but.....
I've been social phobic for as long as I can remember, and I was an alcoholic at one time because it gave me a 'care less' attitude and made it possible for me to socialize, & have some laughs or fun, however, it wasn't quite so funny when I'd wake up the next morning without the money to cover my bills, & if I didn't spend the money on liquor, I'd lose it and couldn't remember where, that and a lot of packs of cigarettes & lighters and various other posessions. I wrecked 2 vehicles, slept or drank when I should have been at important engagments with people that actually MEANT something... the poeple I drank with only seemed to acknowledge me when they were drinking again, and if I ran into the people sober, it was like a stranger. :(

Anyway, I tried weed, buzzed, drunk, and sober..... and the only time I really liked/enjoyed it was when I was completely alone at home. The weed seemed to intensify my feelings, so the "people paranioa" was EVEN WORSE. I felt like everyone was staring at me, talking about me, and laughing at me EVEN MORE. At home, by myself, without the paranoia, I would mellow out listening to music and really enjoyed smoking it, but it did absolutley NOTHING for my phobias except intensify them and make them worse. :(

toeknee

Hi Everyone

I think getting drunk, although may alleviate your fears, is only a temporary solution and definately can cause more problems if you get drunk often and make things worse. I know a lot of people, guys in particular use alcohol as a means of loosening up so that when they are out at night, it gives them the cofidence to approach women. But even though this does work, the women they talk to only see one part of that person and it isn't the real them. I resent having to use alcohol when I'm out with my friends in order to enjoy myself. I hate being dependant on such chemicals. I remember one time I managed to actually approach a really attractive girl at a club whoile completely sober. I seem to be the designated driver most of the time and I am not too keen on Alcohol anyway.

I do remember when the fear has got the best of me. There have been many classes I wanted to try out but as soon as I go to the door I go so overwhelmed I just had to leave. I recall when I wanted to try an Aikido class and as soon as I saw everyone in their uniforms I just left, and then I wanted to try Yoga but as soon as I got near the class I coudn't do it. I was scared of look foolish, but I did make myself go to Yoga classes and I really enjoyed them. I was the ony guy there so I think it must have taken a lot of nerve. At first I was like a totally lost soul, me a guy with all these women but it turned out ok. Through reading self help books I managed to push myself into doing scary things like eating out alone in restaurants and even going to pubs on my own. And if this does scare you, go to a pub at lunch time and take a newspaper with you. That way you will have something to do and your mind will be focussed on the newspaper. I remember when I couldn't go on a bus or train until I was 17. It was scary when I used a bus in the beginning. I would have to rehearse in my mind what I would say and because I was so nervous I stuttered and said " can i have a single uh return ticket please"? to which the bus driver replied " make up your mind in an aggressive tone of voice.
There are always going to be people who don't understand our fear but we should keep trying and take little steps to lessen our fear.

eran

drnk

i drink awhen i know im going to be put in a difficult situation,ie interviews
Maybe its because i am not on any meds due to a doctor who hasnt got a clue.