How many People here finished university/college?

SYNAPSE

I majored in business management (and quit chemical engineering before trying that). . . .trying to figure out what my Master will be on when I get some more work experience.

I don't think I have any advice. It sucked. I got depressed, slept poorly, almost drop out a second time, etc. . .

Ddarko

I am about 2 years out of a B.S. in mathematics here in the US. I'm currently in a master's program in philosophy.

Is the pressure you're feeling just stress from schoolwork or is it from social anxiety? My own experience was that SA/SP didn't really affect my undergraduate work. Studying and going to the library was easy for someone like me who was uncomfortable in most social situations. The downside was that I didn't really participate in class and didn't really know many people in my department. I had roommates, and we had fun, but I didn't really get to know my professors much or anything... I got top grades though, and went to their office hours enough to get letters of recommendation for graduate school (a nerve-racking experience if there ever was one).

If my experiences are any indication, if you are really shy then the hard part will come when it's time to graduate and get a job in the work world. The stress might be lessened if you are in an area where there is plenty of work, but it's still more difficult (imo) than going to class and studying.

As someone who was and is very shy, I would often not seek out extra activities outside of schoolwork. Things like exercise, sports, or not being afraid to ask someone else to go do something can really help as study-breaks and distractions. Taking your mind off of studying for a while will re-energize you and keep you going. I think I was always afraid that if I went out and did stuff (joing clubs or sports) I would be perceived as "the quiet one." And that's probably true... if you are very quiet then you will be perceived that way, but what I didn't realize was that that's okay. There's nothing wrong with not talking very much... the important thing is to just be there doing something, to diversify your life activities a little... talking to people and meeting them will occur, maybe less frequently than for out-going people but it will happen if you just place yourself in those situations... not sure if that applies to you but I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Skog

scatmantom said:
Any advice from people who have been there and done it would be great!

I didn't have anxiety about school. I finished college and graduate school. My lack of a social life probably made that easier. I wasn't very good at maintaining friends and never dated (until near the end of graduate school), which let me focus on school where I was very competent.

I'm sorry. This really isn't advice. Higher education makes you more employable and widens the circle of people with whom you might socialize. You appear to be most of the way to your degree -- just keep it up.