How long did it take for you to find meds that actually worked?

Celephaïs

Self explanatory I suppose, that is if you're on anything.

I've had nothing but trial and error on and off since I was 16. Nothing's ever really worked. Which would leave me in a cycle of getting pissed off leaving a doctor and trying to tough it out to gradually limping back after having a bad episode. If they could medically induce amnesia I think I'd be first in line :|

StonedBob

Are you trying meds for depression or SA?
If it's just for SA, I consider meds just as a temporary solution, it will maybe helps you feeling better for a while, but it wont help you finding and solving the underlying problems at the origin of your SA. It's better to couple medications with a therapy.

Celephaïs

Are you trying meds for depression or SA?
If it's just for SA, I consider meds just as a temporary solution, it will maybe helps you feeling better for a while, but it wont help you finding and solving the underlying problems at the origin of your SA. It's better to couple medications with a therapy.

Mainly for depression and some mania. The SA creeped up for the worst about 4 years ago while I was out at a bar. I can't ever recall actually feeling great in the past few years. As for the cause, I mixed some illegal drugs and ended up in a convulsion when I was younger. Long time ago, but it completely changed me. I've got issues with the open sky, driving, people in general, sometimes paranoid as well. The panics I've had have only opened up more things to avoid. Last month has been hell for me. I was put on seroquel recently but stopped because the side effects were not pleasant.

Last edited:

StonedBob

Ok, I'm also taking antidepressants.
I've started taking citalopram (a SSRI) 2 months ago, it's the first time I've been taking antidepressants, and it's working fine for me. I feel much better now, and I had nearly no side effects. SSRI are also supposed to decrease anxiety but this aspect isn't working very well for me, and as I said, I'm not sure meds are the best solutions to overcome definitely SA.
Last month has been hell for me. I was put on seroquel recently but stopped because the side effects were not pleasant.
Have you told your doctor about the side-effects of your meds and the fact you stopped taking them? The "problem" with antidepressants is that they are long-term meds. You need to wait for at least 2 weeks before you feel better, and you have to take them at least for 6 months if you want them to be really effective. About the side-effects, it's possible they disapear after a while.
I think the most important thing when taking antidepressants is to keep in touch with your doctor, to tell him about all side-effects you have, because he will be the most competent person to tell you if you have to continue taking a specific kind of pills or if you have to begin with new ones.

Celephaïs

The problem with the last med was that it was making me worse. It helped me sleep but I was actually feeling out of it (and not in a comfortable way) I was dwelling on thoughts more with it. Not to mention really uncomfortable pains in my legs and kneck and pulsing headaches in my lower skull. I've tried various medicines for extended periods and my stomach does not agree with many things.