How I stopped my anxiety. No meds or doctors.

Anxiety - it was my life for 5 months, you can't say anything that I didn't have and if you do it'd be hard to beleive. I'm 17 and beleive anxiety is easy to overcome, and YES I had every fear that you may have now.
Anxiety is only fear. You may agree that it's all symptoms of fear. The fight or flight effect ALL THE TIME because you program your mind that everyday things are like that. I beleive how you are can be explained by habits and your thoughts. It's possible to break habits and you can think about other things so it IS stoppable.
This is what I did... I was fed up with anxiety, I lived it, I could only talk about it, related everything to it. And so familiar with it that "it" only means anxiety. One day, I thought "if it's only your thoughts and you over thinking things (ex. afraid of my heart beat.) then DONT THINK" I said "shoes" over and over in my head and forced myself to stop thinking. When a "bad thought" pop in my head I'd scream "NO" and say shoes again. When something good (not about anxiety) came in my mind I went with it.

Maybe I'm not a good explainer in words, but I beleive if you rid the memory that caused your anxiety spike, then you would never be consumed with it.
Think positive about everything and stop thinking about anxiety, don't even use the word anymore. FORCE IT OUT OF YOUR THOUGHTS. and slowly you will feel better. Days after I forgot about anxiety I got head aches, feelling I was going to pass out and no appetite. My body was telling me that the anxiety free state wasn't normal, but I didn't give up. It's almost like not caring anymore, I didn't care if anything happend, cause I KNEW just like you know it can't hurt you. Then why fear? My anxiety stopped in 2 weeks.
You don't need medicine, books, any help... only know it's fear controlling you. Only you can help yourself. You can break fears, I was once scared to walk, that's when you know something isn't right. Stop it now before it get's worse. Don't let fear control you.

I've been through nights where I thought I was never gonna live to see another day, depression, and nothing was good. Anxiety was stamped on my brain. It's very hard to control but you can. I beleive medicine is NOT the answer but you can learn from it too...when you feel better taking a medicine it shows that you are FINE and have nothing to worry about. Learn from everything you do and think positive and you will slowly feel better about your anxiety!

I live with social anxiety now but that is my next fear to break! I post to help people because I don't want anyone to go through half of the thoughts, feelings I did. Knowledge is power, you can learn, you can break anxiety.

anxiousmouse

That’s fantastic because I know a friend who can’t do without his medicines. Recently I accompanied him to the drug house and he bought a certain medicine called Biron. I was a bit curious so I asked him what is this medicine used for and then he related to me that these are his anxiety medicines and that he has to take them otherwise he will feel jittery. I did know that he suffers from anxiety but I never thought that it can be so serious. i will tell him about your tip to get rid of anxiety.

glance_left

good story! I love hearing about this kind of thing. New here and definitely struggling with social phobia...performance anxiety...especially when speaking in front of others. I'm also a recovering alcoholic addict (15 months clean/sober now!) and the excruciating thing is that the very people I need to connect with I am terrified of in a group setting. When it's my turn to share something my heart starts slamming in my chest and an enormous pressure is felt there. My hands get cold and, worst of all, my i.q. drops like 50 points. I can't think of what in the hell to say or if I had anything to say in the first place. When I do manage to speak up, my shaky voice and lack of breath make it sound really scary. I actually heard someone next to me groan when I spoke and saw people frowning out there in the circle. I could actually FEEL sense of judgment directed at me like "This guy's hopeless!" or "Wow...what a wuss." or "I wish this guy would shut up because his fear is making ME uncomfortable." I know this kind of inner dialog is overreacting, but it seems almost insurmountable!

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm sick of being afraid. I don't want to take medication unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd love to hear back from any of you!

Hullabaloo

Well done, Above&Beyond

Hey, Above & Beyond, well done.

What you have done by trial and error is a method to disrupt your mind pattern, by sheer willpower, and that's fantastic. However, you probably have not addressed the root cause of your anxiety that triggered it in the first place - you probably need to see a good therapist (who uses Time Line Therapy, for example) to address this. A clue to this is that you are still left with social phobia. I am sure that with your application of mind you will free yourself from this, too.

To you success!