How i got over my anxiety disorder Part II

steve111

First, I would like to say that this is not a method, gimmick or anything like that to cure Anxiety disorders. I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist or medical doctor. I am not looking for money, nor am I looking for guinea pigs for this technique. Remember, this is not a technique, but simply the method I used to beat my anxiety problems. If this can only make you realize that anxiety is not an illness and most can be cured, then, I would have given back to the anxiety prone community. I am not here to anger you, nor am I here to project false beliefs on you… Whether you realize this or not, you have control over this and most can at the very least, minimize your symptoms to a point that you will never, ever think about anxiety again.

My understanding of anxiety disorders

Anxiety disorders including (SA, GAD, OCD, Depression, phobias, etc...) originate from basically the same premise; FEAR. Fear of a situation, thing, event, behaviour, and such. This fear usually develops at a young age, but can manifest itself later in life such as in post traumatic stress disorder. This fear was learnt and profoundly embedded itself in our consciousness. It usually stems from mankinds frugal attempt at control. If we can’t control we fear. If we fear, our body instinctively reacts to protect ourselves. And that is where the symptoms and avoidance behaviour start.

Mankind, through evolution, has developed the fight or flight. It was needed to protect humans from predators. When we encounter what we perceive as danger, our amygdala (a switch located in the brain) signals our body to do the following:

1. divert blood from the extremities to the major muscle groups
2. Makes the heart beat fast to pump more oxygen
3. Shortens the the breathing so we bring in more oxygen
4. shuts down unnecessary bodily functions such as digestion to conserve energy
5. elevates the temperature of the body.

When danger is eliminated, the amygdala signals the body to return to normal. The connection from thought to bodily reaction is extremely rapid. Think about how long it takes you to think to move a finger and actually moving it. So you can imagine that as soon as you think of a fearful situation (imagined or real), your body goes into panic mode.

When I got stung at 9 years old by a bee, I instantly developed an intense fear of bees. I could not control bees and associated them with pain. So, every time I would see or hear a bee, I would run as far as I could. Then I asked myself, why is it that I fear bees and others don’t? So slowly, through trial and error, I desensitized myself by consciously prolonging my exposure to bees. Of course it was hard, of course I simply wanted to die, but when a bee was hovering around me, I just stood there and waited as long as I could… After a whole summer, I was cured. I do not fear bees anymore.

Research suggests that people suffering from anxiety disorders demonstrate above average intelligence. This is demonstrated by the fact that we analyse things to much. How will this person react to me? What if I do this? What if I do that? What if I say no? And by analysing things, we create scenarios with possible solutions. It is human nature to adopt the worst possible case in a situation, and that is where our problems start.

My understanding of this situation is that if you can “unlearn” the behaviours that feed the disorder, and replace them with positive behaviour, then, the fearful situation will not exist anymore, thus the disorder will fade away.

So how did i to cure myself?

How does one eliminate the fear of heights? Well, not by climbing the empire state building, but by climbing a ladder, one step at a time. You have to push your bubble further and further, in small steps.

Born into a family where my mother suffers from OCD, GAD and depression, I was basically condemned to be like her. That is all she taught me. I was always very shy and, while looking back at this, suffered from little panic attacks all through my childhood.

I experienced my first major panic attack at age 22. I was about to take the most important exam of my life at college when all hell broke loose. I could not breath, walk, talk, my heart was racing and pounding. The event changed the course of my life for the next ten years. I could not be in crowds. I could not talk one on one with people. I would suffer an deadly disease every month or so. I started grinding my teeth. I developed a drinking problem, I lost some friends, I lost my wife. I started suffering from migraines. I became very socially withdrawn.

About a year ago, I was at my wits end concerning this disorder. I was depressed, drank heavily and I was just sick and tired of being a nervous wreck all the time. I could not even stay in the same room with my family without going into full blown panic attacks and such. Further, I had been experiencing irregular heartbeats and palpitations for about 3 months. I could not even sleep at night. So I decided to go see a doctor again about this.

He listened to me, did blood tests and an ekg. It was decided that I take PAXIL CR and ativan to cure me… I sat home for three days looking at those pills. I researched the success rate of SSRI’s and found that they worked. So I decided to take them… Well, after 5 days of dizziness, weird thoughts, trembling, more panic attacks and such, I threw the pills away and realized something that was going to change my life forever.
I discovered, through research, that anxiety disorders stem from thoughts and thoughts alone.

NOTE: an underlying condition such as thyroid problems may appear as an anxiety disorder.

That is when I realized that I was creating my own prison and that the meds prescribed by my doctor would only alleviate the symptoms. I decided that this must stop. I convinced myself that the following year, I would not be the same person.

I then researched the disorders for about a week, reading everything I could get my hands on. I research treatment options ranging from therapy, pharmaceutical to natural remedies. I armed myself with as much information as possible.

I then devised a plan to attack this in a systematic and methodical manner that would ensure success. Here is what I did:

1. I instilled in me the strong conviction that I would be free of anxiety in one year. You have to convince yourself that you will change and actually follow through with it. Without this, success is very difficult.

2. I spent a week forcefully understand what I am afraid of. I wanted to know where this stemmed from.

3. I changed my diet: I eliminated caffeine completely and started taking vitamins. The old saying that you are what you eat is true and the diet is the first step.

4. I started meditating and using relaxation techniques. This is crucial to permit your mind to recognize what calmness is. I discovered that I did not know how to breathe. I would inhale and exhale very rapidly throughout the day. This caused me to hyperventilate all day and cause dizziness. Thus feeding my problem. So every hour or so, I would breathe in for a count of 4, hold it for 4 and exhale for 4. Instant relaxation. Also, I used progressive muscle relaxation where you tense up a muscle group, hold it for a count of ten and release. DO this also, you will see how it helps.

Further, I used, while meditating, guided imagery where I would, while in a relaxed state, imagine myself being cured. Image myself being in a crowded room and feeling great, talking to people, etc… After a while, it starts to sink in.

5. I analyzed my posture. When you fear, you elevate your chest and sort of lean your shoulders back. A primitive way of making yourself look bigger to predators. This caused me to suffer from chest muscle spasms because my muscles were tense all the time. I mistook the spasms for heart problems/heart attacks, thus contributing to my problem and many trips to the emergency room

6. I slowly cut back on my drinking since, at my stage it could have been dangerous to stop cold turkey. I gradually cut back until I was alcohol free

7. I made the conscious effort to provoke my anxiety in a controlled manner and responded to it. You see, the idea is not to try to relax in a stressful situation, but to embrace the anxiety, understand why you are anxious, feel your body’s response and eliminate the notion that this event is fearful. Again, why is it that some people go into full blown attacks when they are in a crowded room, and others don’t? It is simply the fact that you fear this situation. When you finally understand the fear, you will be able to eliminate it. An example of this was that I feared large crowds. Well, what I did was I went everyday, at the local shopping mall. I would grab the courage to walk in and simply walked around until I could no longer stand it. I would try to set goals for myself to see how long I could stay in there. Well, at first it was 3 minutes, then 5, then 10, and up to a point where it did not bother me anymore. I then turned my attention to speaking to strangers. In that mall, I would stop a stranger and ask for directions. Slowly, my fear of that went away also.

8. Suffering from GAD also brings an incredible amount of worrying about the future and past. I always thought about the next day, the next meeting I would have at work, how I was going to come up with an excuse not to go to that party and such. I also agonized about how my disorder was caused by my childhood and I could never be cured…. So I made an agreement with myself to live hour by hour. I made a conscious attempt to only think about now. If I would catch myself thinking about the future, I would stop, change my mind, and continue. Now this does not mean that you don’t need to think about insurance, or the dental appointment coming up. It simply means that you need to stop dwelling on this and move on.

9. Next I decided to keep busy. Your mind cannot think of 2 things at the same time. If you don’t believe me, try this: Try to come up with the answers to the following 2 questions at the same time. Not one after the other, but at the same time.

43 + 65 =
32 X 6 =

Couldn’t do it right? SO by keeping your mind busy with something that actually requires thinking, you have no place for worry at all.

Now, one must realize that it can take some time to change/modify learnt behaviours, but it can be done with perseverance, willpower and patience. How does one stop smoking? Well you do it one day at a time. How does one stop being anxious? Well you do it one hour at a time.

Consciously modifying your behaviours and thoughts every day is difficult. It takes courage and patience. It does take effort. A lot of effort. But if you really want to eliminate this from your life, then your have to jump in there and do it. You will encounter setbacks. But setbacks imply you are making progress.

In addition, can you explain how a top tennis player remains a top tennis player? Practice. This practice creates a connection between the brain and the body to perform a given way in a certain situation. If the player stops practicing, then the performance goes down. Same thing applies to eliminating this disorder.

So in sum, every minute of every day I ate right, controlled my breathing, relaxed, changed my thoughts, provoked my anxiety, cut back on my drinking, imagined myself dealing with my anxieties, etc. After a couple of months, I saw a change. After a year, I was cured. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

steve111

I just wanted to add that, in order to cure myself, i stopped thinking reading, listening, talking and viewing anything pertaining to anxiety.

If you are immerse in the media, then you may not be able to forget the disorder...

Sorta like an alcoholic who stops drinking but still goes to the local tavern for kicks...

im glad that worked for you..but that wont work for everyone...u had panic attacks those are different from social phobias..cause sp is genetic in most cases..u cant just say ill stick my chest out and think positive and ill be ok...that stuff never worked for me..it seems my problem is the way my system is built and not what i think..when i drink iam calmer and my mind is calmer so i can function in social situations...but usually when my system is not calmed down somehow iam in flight or fight mode..the brain control the mind and body...

and all that meditation and healthy eating stuff will help u feel better but your still gonna have SOCIAL PHOBIA..i know from experience..i used to meditate everyday and i felt that i was as calm as the blue sky..but when i got around people its like it all just dissapears and leaves u all by yourself again ..i guess if ur anxious all the time meditation will help u greatly,but if ur like me ur out of luck my friend

Anonymous

Just wanted to add the reason my psychologist says that medication is okay. Some people have so much anxiety that they are unable to control it. The symptoms are so intense that they are unable to think rationally. The medication alleviates some of the symptoms, so the person is able to think rationally. The pychologist can then teach you how to control the anxiety. Once you've gotten good control of it, the medication is slowly reduced to nothing.

The only problem is that most psychiatrists want to stay in business, so they never teach you how to control anxiey. And even some psychologists womt teach you how to control the anxiety so they'll never lose you as a patient. But some good ones exist. And fortunately, I have them.

rubius

Sorry Bro but Youngdrunkbastard is right is what he typed here. I have been plauged my whole life by people who claim to have the "cure" to SA or SP. For some of us, myself included, there is no cure. Never will be, never can be. It is extremely likely that you never truly had SP, another dissorder masking itself as SP is far more likely. I knew this woman who is in her early 20's and she claimed to have "beaten" SP. She then began telling me how I should do the same thing and I will be "cured". Then she began belittling me and my experiences. Telling me that she "knew what it was like for me" and yet she clearly had no idea how it feels to be a SP sufferer.
It is also possible that you simply have a less serious form of SP. I have met people who have a lesser degree of SP than I do, I have also met one who was worse.
There is no amount of therapy, pills, or meditation that will "cure" me. I have had many years to come to terms with this. Right now my focus is on my quality of life. I am happy with the way I am right now. I have made a lot of progress, but I will ALWAYS HAVE SOCIAL PHOBIA!
I will never work outside of the house. I will never be able to perform in front of large crowds or go into a supermarket for more than a half hour at a time. Not because I have not meditated enough, because if I try to I will start sweating, feel like I am having a heart attack, and then pass out.

Now, I am not saying that the techniques you have listed in your posts aren't a good idea to try. Frankly, if these techniques can help anyone out there I urge them to try them. I actually do meditate. I have been doing that for over a decade now. It is the only reason I can leave my house at all. That is what I mean by degrees. I think there is a large spectrum of people who suffer from SP. I am in the higher degree. I fought against the simple truth for years and all I got was worse. I have accepted my fate and for the last several years have finally gained some measure of success. But I do not have any false hopes. And while it is possible your posts will help some. The people who are like myself will only gain false hope and that can be very harmfull. Trust me.

Just some food for thought.

Ive also had extremely bad anxiety from as early as i can remember. The truth is, SP effects everyone on thisplanet. On a scale of 1-10, most people are prbly around a 2-4. People who are clinically determined to be social phobic prbly range from 6-10. People in the 8-10 range will most likely suffer most of there life with this. It is a sad reality!! Im not just pulling this from my head, ive just basically been OBSESSED with this topic because it had a huge toll on my life!.. But i believe that there is deff room for improvement, and yes.. few people with the more extreme cases can possibly come close to curing it.. i say that cuz i know imone of em, im notgoing to give some huge story but briefly, my senior yr of HS in 2006-07, i WAS social anxiety free. It lasted about 1 1/2 Years. I did expose myself where i normally wouldnthave, and luckilly had a medwork perect for me, effexor. I lived more during that timemore then i have my whole life b4. I was as normal as i could be, but because after highshool, i got into Pot, it screwed upmy brain chem so much that i basically lost track of reality. For almost a year straight, i smoked prbly six joints a day, and eventually forgot what reality really was. Im currently drug free, and re-living the nightmare. Im acually more messed up then b4.

***Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections. The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open.***