How do you view SAD/SP?

DemonDayz

Ever since I self diagnosed myself recently I've been thinking a lot about what SAD/SP really is. Do you think it's a chemical imbalance in the brain? Do you think it's hereditary? Do you think it developes from the environment around you and your life experiences? Or maybe a combination of all three? Or do you just view it as an excuse we give ourselves?

Personally, I don't know what has caused it for me, but I think the disorder is selfish, but at the same horrible. People are social animals (for example, 50% of the part of our brain that analyzes images we see, are developed to analyzing human facial expressions), and our entire lives are centered around social activities, no matter what culture you belong to.

But I feel bad whenever I think how horrible SAD/SP is, because there are so many people all over the world that have it so much worse then myself~

jourjaune

I think we're all just introverts in societies made for extroverts. We're told sp is a problem, why can't it be the other way around? Why aren't the loud, obnoxious people given lables? I'm learning to accept me for me. I'm not naturally talkative, I'll never be, and I really wouldn't want to be anyway. I think all the introverts should get together and form our own country :D
The only way I'd call anyone with sp being selfish, is if your drowning in your pity pool. And not all cultures are centered around social activities. The Buddhists value silence.

Nie

I believe life experiences and environment are most of the cause.
These might also have an effect on brain chemistry..

It rather feels like a selfless than a selfish disorder to me.
If I'd care more about myself instead of others, I'd probably be less agonizing around them.
But I always have to worry how everyone feels/thinks about me..
It is hard to decline someone since I don't want to disappoint them, so I can hardly say 'no' and usually end up doing things I don't want.

Baseball07

mix of experiences and hereditary components. i can tell that some people at my school would be introverts if it werent for their looks, and luck with who they became friends with at early ages. you can tell that they are a little shy, but have enough confidence beacause they have already been accepted. so they were born with it, but were able to overcome it

DemonDayz

Baseball07 said:
mix of experiences and hereditary components. i can tell that some people at my school would be introverts if it werent for their looks, and luck with who they became friends with at early ages. you can tell that they are a little shy, but have enough confidence beacause they have already been accepted. so they were born with it, but were able to overcome it

I can definately agree with this, my S.A.D. seemed to develope right after we moved and I knew no one ><

Nie

PartsUnknown said:
jenz said:
its hereditary; u either look acceptable or u don't :)

Ummm, you are seriously that superficial? Looks have very little to do with it.

What if you're always picked on cause you're ugly?
Surely doesn't aid to your SA..
Maybe (s)he's not superficial but others are.

Drew

Yeah, I would have to say that it's a combination of genetics and environment. I was born shy - I know that for a fact. Talking to my parents, I know that I exhibited classic SA symptoms before I had a chance to really interact with the rest of society.

My anxiety got much worse as the environmental/social factors started to kick in later in life.

jss

wow some day I dreamed that we have our own country of SP people :D

it seems most of us think of that LOL

it is this first time I know Buddhists value silence

so is this a thing desired and required in Buddhism relegion?

jourjaune said:
I think we're all just introverts in societies made for extroverts. We're told sp is a problem, why can't it be the other way around? Why aren't the loud, obnoxious people given lables? I'm learning to accept me for me. I'm not naturally talkative, I'll never be, and I really wouldn't want to be anyway. I think all the introverts should get together and form our own country :D
The only way I'd call anyone with sp being selfish, is if your drowning in your pity pool. And not all cultures are centered around social activities. The Buddhists value silence.

jss

Nie said:
PartsUnknown said:
jenz said:
its hereditary; u either look acceptable or u don't :)

Ummm, you are seriously that superficial? Looks have very little to do with it.

What if you're always picked on cause you're ugly?
Surely doesn't aid to your SA..
Maybe (s)he's not superficial but others are.

well based on my experience as a SP sufferer I think that our brain looks for any defective or ugly areas in our body just to feel ashamed for, and no one perfect in the world

Nie

Masterpiece2 said:
also think the enviroment plays an important role in this, the surroundings and the way of life we'r carrying may affect the chemistry in the brain, making some changes.
I agree. ^-^

Masterpiece2 said:
i think it's important to say 'no' when we feel like doing it, it's worse to dissappoint one-self rather than someone else.
Yea I know that too. :(
Nevertheless, if I refuse it is going to haunt me.. so I feel bad either way.
Anyway.. thank you.

jss said:
well based on my experience as a SP sufferer I think that our brain looks for any defective or ugly areas in our body just to feel ashamed for, and no one perfect in the world
Yea, so looks can play a role as well and I think if others don't accept you so,
they are rather superficial than you.

scatmantom

differnt days i view it in differnt ways

Today i feel badly...and blame my anxiety. But who knows tomorrow i might feel great.

jss

Nie said:
jss said:
Yea, so looks can play a role as well and I think if others don't accept you so,
they are rather superficial than you.
yes although I feel with that many times but I never allowed it to stop me thinking of it because I realize it is not more than erroneous feeling as there are many extremly ugly rude people do what they like and never care or think of that.
So you should know that and never allow this errornous feeling to stop or hurt you. you are surely better and more beautiful than many people outa there that never care about this thing 8)

Nie

jss said:
yes although I feel with that many times but I never allowed it to stop me thinking of it because I realize it is not more than erroneous feeling as there are many extremly ugly rude people do what they like and never care or think of that.
Yea..
jss said:
So you should know that and never allow this errornous feeling to stop or hurt you. you are surely better and more beautiful than many people outa there that never care about this thing 8)
Wow.... thanks.. You too.