how do you get counseling in usa?

slimjim119

You could apply for Medicaid. And get assistance paying the bills that way. If there is no health insurance through your employer, You can get it elsewhere but it could be expensive. Or pay out of pocket for a good therapist. Who may have a sliding scale payment option. Where you pay when you can, or smaller amounts at each session. So you don't have to pay all at once.

However, some health insurance companies may not give coverage for mental health. So you have to do some research.

nemasket

There are some resources out there if you don't have health insurance - most are geared toward low-income individuals. This site spells out some options and has a few good links: http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/ken98-0050/default.asp

As slimjim said, there are some health care centers and offices that will offer a sliding-scale fee to patients who are low income, so it's worth checking that out. I was seen by a psychologist who worked for a local hospital when I lost my student insurance, and was offered a rate of $10 per session.

Calling up a local psychologist's office and asking about options for low-income individuals might help as well - even if that office does not offer that kind of assistance, they likely have a network of psychologists in the area they refer to and may be able to help connect you to someone who does.

geyser

dottie said:
how do you get counseling if you are uninsured?

Call some therapists in your area and ask if they have sliding scale payment options for uninsured individuals. My therapist, and quite a few others in the area, offer that. The guy I see will see patients for as little as $5.00 for an hour. I know he is definitely the exception, but it's still an option.

You can also visit many of the free mental health clinics and talk to them there about getting treatment. Not having health insurance can't keep you from getting the help. There are resources out there.

chris87

You don't need insurance to see a physician/therapist. The only difference is that you'd have to pay out of pocket, which can be expensive.

Have you looked into individual insurance? The younger you are, the cheaper it typically is, but it can get pricey. I don't know if you are in college or not, but universities usually offer a group policy for students that don't have coverage. I know my school charges $1500 per year for HMO healthcare through Aetna (it's required if you don't have insurance). Fortunately, I'm covered on my parents' policy.

jordo

everything said is correct...that's how i got mine. but be careful. altho the sessions may be low cost...they may want to put you on medications and most likely they are the pharmaceutical's free samples. but if you know about certain psych meds...they are hard to get off of. so if for some reason the therapist stops seeing you...youre stuck on medication you need but cant get (withdrawal in the form of severe headaches, brain zaps -- not fun). if they want to put you on meds...you should refuse unless they can assure you that you will be able to continue getting them indefinately. luckily i got medicaid. you should inquire about it or ask them if they can refer you to a social worker who can help you get medicaid and/or ssi. but those are a different story...kind of hard to get nowadays.

as soon as they tell you to take medication you will be broke. they honestly and truly do not care at all. go ahead and try to get a deal. it will probably make you feel cheap. i've been there. this country is a lot less great than some people are told it is.