How do you explain youself to someone else.

Dead_on_Arrival

I have been trying to broach the subject of my OCD with my wife. Every time I buck up the courage to do so I panick and it all goes wrong. I long for her to know how I feel and how it affects me, and it should be easy as she is SA aswell and is worse than me, but it is so hard to do.

How did you guys broach the subject with your loved ones?

coyote

i don't

i hide, deny, and avoid

until they get fed up and leave

Last edited:

Vampayah88

I never do. The ppl around me are so ignorant, theyd just see me like a loser and this would make my life sh.ttier. Nobody knows about this except my mother, and she doesnt even believe me.

ANNomaly

I was only able to explain myself to my ex. He understood and we're taking time apart to work on our issues (He has OCD and is considering anger management). My parents don't believe they're at fault at all; that it's completely my fault I ended up like this. As a result, I've been taking matters into my own hands and am seeing a counselor at my university, who suggested I see a psychiatrist, since I might have depression. Medication, she says, might provide me with the push I need, but I felt it rude to ask, if she was just paid to say that.

I just tell people straight up. For me it's SA, so I tell them that I deal with a Social Anxiety and certain situations trigger it, and that I avoid certain other situations because of it. Most of my close friends understand and still accept me because of it. If she's your wife, then she will accept it, or probably already knows about it. I wouldn't worry about telling her about it, just be honest and she will appreciate it!

no1knowshername

I can't say I have done it "well" but this morning I was forced into it when the "bad thoughts" came. I couldn't shake it and though I normally try to work it out alone, today I couldn't and I was mid-panic when my Significant Other woke up. I kinda let him have it. I just kinda dropped my defenses and let him have the ugliness in my brain; I hurled it at him.

For some reason the intensity seemed to change the conversation. Instead of my very " I can't handle anything right now, give me a minute" stance, which is usually met with dismissal, I wept and told him how terrified I was of things I couldn't control. He kinda got it.

I know tomorrow when I freak out again he may not remember the intensity but he reassured me, he'll be there to help. I just have to get the nerve up to ask for help.

upndwn

I usually keep quiet, but If people ask, I tell. If they don't believe me I don't care, It's not my problem.