How do i best support my partner??

Russellashley

Hi,

I really need some advice. Im feeling completely lost with my partners anxiety problems. I understand the condition (as much as a non-sufferer can) but i am at a loss of how to support her when it really hits her.
Circumstances are not great for her at the moment. We have a baby daughter, Freya and i am the sole earner, mainly due to the fact that kalinda (my partner) is unable to work due to her situation. i am forced to go to work to support us all, but this leaves Kalinda at home all day by herself looking after baby. She uprooted away from family so we could be together and is now living in a small town where she doesnt really know anyone and with her condition, is unable to get out and make contacts.
She basically has what i would think is generalised anxiety, but with a strong hint of social phobia and agrophobia. She cant leave the house much and the thought of goung to the local shop is too much for her. She will sit with her thoughts all day, rapped in the usual vicious circle that sufferers get stuck in. She is tired all the time and is starting to think of herself as a bad mother (i think due to the anxiety and self esteem issues- she is a brilliant mum and really natural at it) because she hasnt the energy. She feels cut off from the world and sometimes even reality and she even told me that she has doesnt know who she is, as anxiety has ruled her life from the age of 17 to now, her formatitive years.
I struggle when i get home as i am tired myself and then i will come home to a really unhappy atmosphere and usually bear the brunt of the days frustrations in way of arguments and accusations. A good example is when i was late because of traffic due to an accident. i thought a phone call would be good idea so she wasnt worried i had been in a crash (another common anxiety). When i called she immediately started to interogate me on wether i was lying (i even had to go to the length of taking a photo of the POLICE ACCIDENT sign to prove myself...) and then i was blamed for the problem personally. This sort of thing is common and i find it such a struggle to remember that it is just her anxiety talking.
Anyway, this is about Kalinda, not me. What advice can you give me to help and encourage her to get through this? I understand that it is mainly up to her to recover, and thankfully she is really wanting to have a normal life and the will to beat this. but i know that i can be a huge help. I really want to be there for her, i love her so much and i want a long and happy life with her and our family. What practical advice canyou give me?

Len

I think you should arrange an appointment for her to see a Doctor or a psychologist.

Russellashley

Already done the doctor thing. Problem is the NHS takes about a year to process you and wwere still waiting.....in the mean time i need to help the best i can. But its a fine line between helping and pushing too hard...

Sis

Hi Russellashley,

Your situation reminds me of my own. I moved to another country to life with my boyfriend. I am the one with the anxiety tho. I have SAD and some other issues. I can image how terrible it must be for both of you to be in a situation like this. You desperately want to help the woman you love, and she wants to make you happy, but just can't make herself happy. My boyfriend and i often browse the internet for solutions or info on our situation, just like you.

I think the most important thing is to make yourself happy, think about your own sanity and needs of yourself first. How harsh as this may seem, it is the only way. Not only for yourself but for her. And if sometimes things are getting a bit too much for you, retreat and take some time for yourself. Don't allow yourself to be in a situation that you really don't want to be in.

Loved ones often think they have any influence on "our" happiness, but they never understand that they don't. No unlimited love in the world would cure a sick person. If you will keep hoping and thinking this will go away out of it's own, or by lots of love, hope and faith, you are mistaken.

I think you can really help your partner by support and advice. And going to a doctor, self-help program, etc. And from the looks of it you are already doing this. So there is nothing more that you can do, besides keep doing what you are already doing. And take care of yourself first.

I hope my "advice" was of any use to you. You seem like a really nice person and i wish you and your partner all the strength, love and happiness.