How are you feeling?

Lavinialuna

Sad, and sick to my stomach. I found one of my chickens dead tonight. I have no idea why she died. I feel like I let her down, like I should have been able to tell something was wrong.

MikeyC

Sad, and sick to my stomach. I found one of my chickens dead tonight. I have no idea why she died. I feel like I let her down, like I should have been able to tell something was wrong.
Is it easy to see if chickens are unwell or can they just pass away randomly? Even if you did see something wrong, it may have been unlikely you would've been able to help.

Lavinialuna

Is it easy to see if chickens are unwell or can they just pass away randomly? Even if you did see something wrong, it may have been unlikely you would've been able to help.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't see any signs, and I have since done a little research and I guess it just happens. Still was sad. I didn't sleep well, but I will carry on. At least she didn't spend her life in a cage, and I am happy for that.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Aw the pressure, the expectations fae ma faimly.... Doesnae bloody end, does it?! Ah cannae take this anymair. :kickingmyself:

Ah feel like screamin' til ah cannae speak.
shout.gif

Like I'm going nowhere in life, backwards if anything, and its never going to get better again so why the f**k bother anymore

Graeme1988

How um ah feelin'? Well, ah'm still alive fur reasons that're beyond me at this point. Ah mean, ah should've died years ago, but ah was spared fur a reason. :sad: The reason bein'... :idontknow:

Ah'm tired as f**k! Procrastinatin' like a lazy bugger.

And, eh, ah've came tae the depressin' realisation that ah'd be a lot happier if ah could disown ma family. Purely on the basis that they're the most ungrateful, manipulative, sanctimonious, narcasstic c*nts ah huv hud the misfortune o' bein' related tae. Ah know that might seem harsh but there's only so much bossin' aroon and being treat like shite ye cun take afore ye snap... :kickingmyself:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

I've been doing this for some years now. Sometimes, you can see a when chicken is unwell. Maybe within a few days of death. More if you're lucky. Sometimes it's a surprise.

I don't get attached to the chickens. Of all the livestock, I get the least attached to fowl. Even of the cattle I'm only really attached to a couple of them. Past few years it's 110 (aka 'Butthead') and the herd bull. Butthead is just past her serious productive years, but she's produced many, many herd bulls in her time, and remains the smartest of the cattle in spite of her physical decline. Her genes will live on across the nation. She will no longer produce anything financially beneficial, but she will always have a place here. And extra food.

:)

How um ah feelin'? Well, ah'm still alive fur reasons that're beyond me at this point. Ah mean, ah should've died years ago, but ah was spared fur a reason. :sad: The reason bein'... :idontknow:

Ah'm tired as f**k! Procrastinatin' like a lazy bugger.

And, eh, ah've came tae the depressin' realisation that ah'd be a lot happier if ah could disown ma family. Purely on the basis that they're the most ungrateful, manipulative, sanctimonious, narcasstic c*nts ah huv hud the misfortune o' bein' related tae. Ah know that might seem harsh but there's only so much bossin' aroon and being treat like shite ye cun take afore ye snap... :kickingmyself:

My family is a lot like that. I'm working on distancing myself forever from them. My family contributed to my low self-esteem (perhaps the sole cause) which paved way for social anxiety... in any case, they are a bad influence and i'm getting away from them as soon as I can. Good luck with yours :thumbup:

Lavinialuna

I've been doing this for some years now. Sometimes, you can see a when chicken is unwell. Maybe within a few days of death. More if you're lucky. Sometimes it's a surprise.

I don't get attached to the chickens. Of all the livestock, I get the least attached to fowl. Even of the cattle I'm only really attached to a couple of them. Past few years it's 110 (aka 'Butthead') and the herd bull. Butthead is just past her serious productive years, but she's produced many, many herd bulls in her time, and remains the smartest of the cattle in spite of her physical decline. Her genes will live on across the nation. She will no longer produce anything financially beneficial, but she will always have a place here. And extra food.

:)
You are right, it's foolish to get too attached. Caring for something, raising it by hand, leaves you feeling parental in a way. I am feeling better about it today.
Butthead sounds like a special cow!

MollyBeGood

I agree that you cannot get too attached to "livestock".

That being said, how does one not get too attached to any animal you feed and care for everyday for many years? It's a weird thing a person has to do with their heart, put one animal in one category (food) and another in a more special one (pets). It's probably a great experience for everyone to do this. Have their own chickens, so they can really see where their food comes from and appreciate the process. Some might choose to be vegans after wards which isn't such a bad thing.

Was she an older chicken? Maybe it was her time...

I know when I get goats I will be in the same boat :(

hope you feel better soon!

Lavinialuna

I agree that you cannot get too attached to "livestock".

That being said, how does one not get too attached to any animal you feed and care for everyday for many years? It's a weird thing a person has to do with their heart, put one animal in one category (food) and another in a more special one (pets). It's probably a great experience for everyone to do this. Have their own chickens, so they can really see where their food comes from and appreciate the process. Some might choose to be vegans after wards which isn't such a bad thing.

Was she an older chicken? Maybe it was her time...

I know when I get goats I will be in the same boat :(

hope you feel better soon!
I know it changed the way I view eggs and meat, especially when it comes to waste. It helped the kids to see how much of a sacrifice it is to have meat, how the best way as a meat eater to honor the animal is not to waste, to respect the animal from beginning to end.
She was only 6 months old :( I basically hand raised her. We actually are pretty lucky that we didn't lose any of our 10 when they were chicks, that is rare. Birds really are fragile in a way. Stress alone can kill them. (Had I been a chicken, I would have been dead long ago!)
Thanks for your kind words

MollyBeGood

I know it changed the way I view eggs and meat, especially when it comes to waste. It helped the kids to see how much of a sacrifice it is to have meat, how the best way as a meat eater to honor the animal is not to waste, to respect the animal from beginning to end.
She was only 6 months old :( I basically hand raised her. We actually are pretty lucky that we didn't lose any of our 10 when they were chicks, that is rare. Birds really are fragile in a way. Stress alone can kill them. (Had I been a chicken, I would have been dead long ago!)
Thanks for your kind words

They are so fragile. I understand your sadness. My neighbors have free range chickens and I cannot see how they don't loose them all of the time to coyotes and birds of prey. We cared for them for two weeks and were really attached to them, (they had new chicks too at the time to care for) even more than the horses, by the time we left. Chickens are really special animals in a lot of ways. It's great for your kids to see this cycle. The fresh eggs are so good for you too!

Graeme1988

On the verge of a mental breakdoon. Bin so stressed, lately.

Nae energy, nae life. Nowt new, there

Wish ah was deid... Ah really do.

Ah cannae take much mair o' this. :sad: