how about this puppy?

Jezza

Cyproheptadine (pronounced /ˌsaɪproʊˈhɛptəˌdin/; usually as cyproheptadine hydrochloride, trade name Periactin) is an antihistaminic/anticholinergic and antiserotonergic agent. It acts as a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist and also blocks calcium channels.

Sounds like a whole bunch of things that might help, all wrapped up in a nice 3-in-1 package. I think this could be one that I'll try next.

Funny, about 2-3 years ago I was like, no I'm not going to take systemic medication, I want to do some tests and then it's solved... now it's like come on where are the pills (I didn't count Botox as medication back then for some reason, probably my brain's way to get around the medication aversion).

Anyway...

Looking into plasma osmolarity...extra/intracellular fluid...calcium outflux...electrolytes. All these play important roles in endocrine sweating, but it's heavy stuff, it's hard for me to paint a picture how exactly these processes work, can't really 'visualize' it, so if anyone else wants to look into these on the internet to see if there might be something in there that would be great.

Last edited:

tbanner523

Well, if it works, let us know! I will certainly try it through my doctor if you have some success.

cm123

I have uploaded a .PDF on the study of this drug for HH.
You can download it here:
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Patient Reviews
PERIACTIN: Side effects, ratings, and patient comments

Wikipedia Article
Cyproheptadine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I will most likely NOT be taking this medicine due to its side affect that increases hunger, among others. I will ask the Doc about this none the less. Personally, I think Glyco is safer tho.

The most interesting information about this medicine that gives us a clue into what may cause HH is that is its effect on the "sympathetic nervous system". This medicine is thought to effect it the "sympathetic nervous system" and HH is thought to be caused by an overactive "sympathetic nervous system".

Jezza

thanks for your input cm,

Yeah, I know about the overactive SNS theory. I think though that it's kind of crude. The SNS is responsible for sweating (directly eccrine, indirectly apocrine) so it's kind of an easy statement to make for medics to say HH is due to an overactive SNS, since there are a lot of things involved with that.

I also tried moxonide, which is supposed to directly inhibit the SNS signals at the brainstem, but it didn't do much really. I think something goes wrong along the way from brain to sweat gland, rather than there being too much signals to begin with (ie, problem with neurotransmitters, for instance a couple are known to have an effect on sweating like Ach, VIP, adenosine, serotonin etc or maybe calcium channels in relation to the ph/osmolarity of extracellular vs intracellular fluids, but that's really technical stuff and I don't really understand the physics of it yet).

anyway, that's just my thinking.

Otherwise I'm kind of reluctant to really go for full out anticholinergics, first of all because they mostly inhibit the parasympathetic nervous system, which in most ways is not what you want to achieve, but also because I've tried oxybutynin before with not much succes. I wanted glyco that time, but that drug seems to be not in use at all here in the Netherlands so it's apparently quite hard to obtain. One of the things I would yet still like to do is the glyco with ionto, but again, difficult to get my mitts on.

I just got the cypro, so let's see how that works out.

Side note; Don't see where I can change the topic this quickly right now, but when more people comment, even more people comment automatically I think.

Last edited:

cm123

You should be able to edit the title through the "edit your post" option.

Glyco works wonders, I use it with my Ionto and certainly notice a huge difference.

You can buy it here:
Welcome to pharmacy.ca

they should ship it to the Netherlands. Also i know it is available in the UK, which is pretty close to the NL.

Jezza

Hmm either I'm overlooking something or you can't change the topic title...

About the ionto with glyco, how are you doing it? Crush a pill and use a home device? I have an Idromed 4 GS rusting away here somewhere I bought 2 years ago, so that could use some using, the pills just might be available here somehow if I really push for it but a solution would be a real long shot.

I would be interested to know what kind of results you're seeing. Pinker said that sometimes it worked very well for him but other times not so much, which for me didn't sound promising to be honest, those times it doesn't work are probably the times where it would be worst otherwise, which means the times you don't want to have HH more than any other time. Does it consistently limit sweating for you or is it more like hit and miss? I need some consistency so I can get in a more positive vibe.

I found something else that's interesting and related to the neurotransmitters I mentioned earlier btw, might be a clue to the cause, I'll post a new thread.

Last edited:

cm123

The glyco that a pharmacy is going to dispense is most likely going to be in oral pill form. I cut my pill in half and let each half dissolve in each tray. Ionto is just another way for your body to absorb medicine. However, absorbing glyco through your hands has a better affect then taking it orally.

If I were you this is what i would do. If you are going to be using your Idomed daily untill\ you sweating has ceased. ( about 20 sessions for most ppl) Then you should be cutting a 2mg pill in half and letting themselves in the trays of hot water before use.

Then I would stop using the machine and see how long you can go until your sweating comes back. Compare your results and everything. You should notice a longer duration than before.

If you decided to keep up with the ionto and do maintenance, use it with the glyco everytime. As well I would take 1mg glyco orally daily. You should notice amazing results.

- C

Jezza

I haven't been doing tap water ionto anymore for quite a long time since it didn't seem to work, except that I got some blistering where my wrists left the water.
I've held on to the machine for the purpose of someday trying the glyco solution. Everytime I bring it up at a doctor's appointment their reaction is in the line of 'you want to do what now?, I'm not going to sign of on that' mainly because they never prescribe glyco here and to administer it via ionto...most just don't know so they don't take the perceived risk for them that something might go wrong.

I must be able to get these pills prescribed somehow though...

Anyway, what kind of amperage do you use? and do you switch polarity or not?

cm123

I use the Drionic, which the cheapest Ionto machine you can buy. (other than making one yourself) I use it on the highest setting.

You can try using distilled water or adding baking soda to the water to level the ph out.

I know there was a post one time talking about people who used "well water"/people who have water that has a high mineral content and I think if my memory serves me right these people had better results with the Ionto because the minerals helped blocked the pores or something...... not really sure......