Homeless Christian help

The_Crusader

Just the other day I saw a documentary on the homeless which was really heartbreaking, and made me think about what I am doing as a Christian. I have Social Phobia 8O and find it hard to do things most people take for granted like shopping for instance, but then I read Yeshua's (Jesus) teaching and feel compelled to do something to help others yet ultimately to scared to get out and do it!

Can my fellow Christians relate and give me some advice on what to do? Or if your not a Christian and have some idea's that would be great too! Even though I'm close to being homeless myself, I feel guilty that I'm not helping others and spreading the good news. I don't even go to Church which is another thing that really tears me up.

Thanks

pjam76

time

I used to donate money whenver I could.. I tried to donate time, if I could, but it's hard when you have SA or SP.

But, like you, i might be homeless soon, but I know somebody always has it worse than I so i try to donate something.. If it's a dollar at some grocery store or some other place, i used to do what I can.

I"m not christian but jewish, but i don't know anymore.. I lost my faith and in all honesty, while I've always tried to help people out in my life, i've become tired because in all honesty, when i'm down on my luck, ain't nobody ever helped me out.

LA-girl

First of all I just want to emphasize that there is nothing we can do in order to earn salvation as it is purely a gift from God. However that doesn't mean that we can go along and do whatever we like, thinking that God will forgive us even if we don't have a decision to change our lives.
To use Jesus own words: "If ye love me, keep my commandments." which all are loving commandments affecting God, ourself and our neighbour.

Now back to your question. We all know that Jesus talks about loving our neighbour and helping and caring for people. Now, there are several ways of doing that. I have chosen to give a certain amount of money to charity each month. But for God it is not the amount that counts, if you have very little money, you give less. And if you have close to nothing, maybe you should find other ways of helping. Here is a link to THE HUNGER SITE that has a button you can click every day for free and still be helping to feed the hungry.

Help feed the hungry for free:http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

You also mention having a desire to spread the word...why not do that on the internet, which I believe is an excellent way of spreading the good news to the whole world! :)

Good luck!

The_Crusader

Re: time

pjam76 said:
I used to donate money whenver I could.. I tried to donate time, if I could, but it's hard when you have SA or SP.

But, like you, i might be homeless soon, but I know somebody always has it worse than I so i try to donate something.. If it's a dollar at some grocery store or some other place, i used to do what I can.

I"m not christian but jewish, but i don't know anymore.. I lost my faith and in all honesty, while I've always tried to help people out in my life, i've become tired because in all honesty, when i'm down on my luck, ain't nobody ever helped me out.

Thanks for the tip on donating money, as you said even if it's just a few dollars. I always walk past stuff like that and think it would never make a difference anyway, but if everybody donates just a dollar to a charity then you really start to get somewhere.

I often feel as you do, that nobody ever seems to help me out when I'm down. I sometimes think it would be better to have been a paraplegic then have social phobia, because at least then people would be able to see my disability!

My faith is the only thing keeping me alive and while I haven't been a Christian that long I truly know Jesus to be who he say's he is. I don't want to sound preachy but have a look at this site http://www.truthnet.org/ I found it gave me a lot of answers I was looking for when I knew very little about Christianity. Jesus came for people like us that were the outcasts of society so I take a lot of heart in the fact that at least God cares for me. :wink:

The_Crusader

LA-girl said:
First of all I just want to emphasize that there is nothing we can do in order to earn salvation as it is purely a gift from God. However that doesn't mean that we can go along and do whatever we like, thinking that God will forgive us even if we don't have a decision to change our lives.
To use Jesus own words: "If ye love me, keep my commandments." which all are loving commandments affecting God, ourself and our neighbour.

Now back to your question. We all know that Jesus talks about loving our neighbour and helping and caring for people. Now, there are several ways of doing that. I have chosen to give a certain amount of money to charity each month. But for God it is not the amount that counts, if you have very little money, you give less. And if you have close to nothing, maybe you should find other ways of helping. Here is a link to THE HUNGER SITE that has a button you can click every day for free and still be helping to feed the hungry.

Help feed the hungry for free:http://www.thehungersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

You also mention having a desire to spread the word...why not do that on the internet, which I believe is an excellent way of spreading the good news to the whole world! :)

Good luck!

Thank you LA-girl that was great advice! :D I will definitely put it to good use.

God Bless