hi

hi

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HELLO

thanks for the welcome. I had spent about 30 mins typing out a long introduction but when I hit enter something happened and the whole website just closed.

It is nice to have a board especially for Social phobia.

Mine has been progressively getting worse since I came out as a gay man at work and to my family in 1998. My family was ok with it but it didn't go so well at work. People started making jokes, drawing things on the bathroom walls etc etc etc. I felt like I would be picked on or laughed at at any moment and many times I was. I started avoiding the lunch crowds and meetings. In 2000 it got to the point that I couldn't go to work anymore. I quit my $17/hr job of 11 years because I had become so anxious.

I did seek help through shrinks and other counselers but that didn't help. I've tried a gazillion different antidepressants but never got any relief.

I really didn't know what was wrong with me back then. I thought I was depressed but the shrinks said I didn't seem depressed. None ever mentioned social phobia.

Now, I'm 100% certain that's my problem but seeking help isn't something I'm able or willing to do ...at this point.

I find wearing my sunglasses everywhere makes me feel "safe". I think if people can't see the windows to my soul then they can't know how anxious and screwed up I am.

I can't eat out. I can't go shopping. I have a hard time even going into the liquor store to buy my "medicine". LOL!

My boyfriend of 7 years thinks that everyone has social anxiety and that this "thing" I have is what most people have. He thinks I'm copping out using it as an excuse to never do anything social outside the home with him. I wish he could step inside my body sometime and see!

Maybe through expressing myself here and reading others posts I will get some relief.

cya

cLavain

HELLO said:
Mine has been progressively getting worse since I came out as a gay man at work and to my family in 1998. My family was ok with it but it didn't go so well at work. People started making jokes, drawing things on the bathroom walls etc etc etc. I felt like I would be picked on or laughed at at any moment and many times I was.
Well, so much for progress... :( I hope you were just unlucky with your work place, but I don't know.

Oh, welcome to the forum, btw!