hi im new ^^;

wardrobe

hi.

Im new to social phobia world. and have only recently discovered i may also suffer with social phobia.

In the past i have suffered alot with panic attacks and anxiety. I was diagnosed with depresion, a while ago. Although in alot of situations i seemed to be fine, and others not so fine. so i figured this cannot not be just depression.

Im 19 and have only had 1 job as a waiter and been to college no more than 3 times and found my self failing and dropping out.

When i was a waiter i found it really hard to approach the customers and make small talk. i found my self wanting to get away from it all at work, and when i was unable to it made me feel even worse, and often stuttered and paused while serving people. This eventually lead to me quitting after 4 or 5 weeks. i havent had a job since.

For me picking up the phone and physically going out to job interviews scares me to death. and 99% of the time ill find my self not going to the interviews.

At college, i found it really hard to concentrate because i was so self paranoid of what other people were thinking of me. which lead to my downfall each time.

The unusual thing with me is if im with my friends im fine, but if we go out somewhere like to the cinema or pub. i couldnt be any more uncomfortable. i feel everyone is looking and talking about me which usually makes me become really moody, which can become very annoying for my friends. I try to explain myself to them but they find it really hard to udnerstand where im coming from.

My parents are on my back to get a job, and i know i should really be working at the age of 19. but im terrified to ring or apply to anyone. and because of this it makes me look lazy and idle.

It is seriously annoying. i would love to be able to apply for a job and enjoy going to the pub or cinema with friends, but it just triggers random panic attacks, and i feel everyone is picking up on that which then makes me feel even worse. as for going to the doctors to sort this out, i cant even pick up the phone to book an apointment. its terrible.

if any one knows of any advice for me, i would welcome it with open arms.

Thanks alot.

dan

TAMPA-BAY

Hi there wardrobe welcome to your new friends. Anyway I could n't help but notice how you figured out you had social phobia. Thats similar to how I figured it out too.

Most of my life I had been called shy but I Knew at an early age that this didn't make any sense because if I was shy it would not be random shyness. I found that my shyness was verry selective. At the time I was not familar with all of these lables but I knew there was some thing more to what I was going thru.

I currently work at a supermarket of all places and have improved a great deal because I get constant practice. I want to stress that practice alone wont be enough. You will have to keep aware of how this social phobia work to improve.

I now have no problem aproaching most strangers and making small talk,but; I still have problem after the initial intro. I find my self runnig out of topic to talk about.

Also I wanted to add that conversations are 2 way streets. What I mean is that the other person(your customers) have to help also to maintain the conversation.For my e-mail leave me a private message. Bye