hi, i'm kim

hi there,

my name is kim, and i'm 21 and new here. don't really know how to start this, i guess that my social phobia has gotten to a point where i need to talk to some of you about it. i haven't been diagnosed by a professional as such, but i'm pretty sure my symptoms are in line with social phobia.

i have very few real world friends, to be honest, i shy away from making friends. there are a lot of people in my life through work and such that often suggest wanting to do something social with me but i always put it off or make excuses. i've finished a uni course [i did my bachelor of psychology, hah!] and i'm still working the same part time job i had since i was 15 [as a fast food employee] because to be honest the thought of looking for a new job scares the absolute shit out of me. i'm comfortable enough where i am. lately it's just gotten to a point though where i need to talk to someone about this. i had my uni graduation last month and i was that nervous about it that i felt nauseous, just being around people makes me feel sick. i get angry as well? it sounds weird but for instance at my graduation my mum and dad wanted me to get professional photos and i went absolutely nuts at them because i just wanted to go home.

i think also this whole social phobia thing is affecting my relationship. my boyfriend is really understanding and helpful but for instance this evening he wanted to go visit 2 of his friends. i told him i was feeling sick and didnt want to go, which was a lie. anyways, it all ended up with me crying my eyes out for at least 1/2 an hour being upset at me being the way i am. i cant think of a particular instance when all this started, i was probably 12 or 13 when i started getting quite self conscious and it probably developed from there. anyway..sorry for the huge intro. just needed to get some stuff off my chest. looking forward to talking to some of you soon, and any advice also wouldnt go astray!

thanks,
kim

corsa

Hi Kim,
I know exactly how you feel. I've finished my B psych last year and i'm now doing my honours. I'm constantly surrounded by psychs and it makes me a little uneasy sometimes because i feel that i'm always getting analysed, and then i get pissed off and defensive. Besides i'm a trainee psych, shouldn't i be able to 'cure' myself?, it's such a joke. I know about distorted thinking and CBT and yet i don't practice what i'm preaching. Also to make matters worse i finally got the courage to go see a counsellor at uni to talk about my SP, and then me and my counsellor ended up sharing the same supervisor (!) and now i sort of share an office with her. I have to see her just about everyday and worry about whether she has confided with our superivsor what i had disclosed with her. (Even though my supervisor swears that she can't tell her anything because of confidentiality. But it was bad enough that i had to tell my superivsor my relationship with the other supervisee anyway) And to be honest - she wasn't that good. She didn't tell me what i didn't already know, and her microskills annoyed the hell outta me.

well thats exactly how i feel, in terms of having done a psych degree. you do so much in regards to disorders and phobias and so forth, and ways to treat them, and it just feels like i could never go any further with psych because my own head is enough trouble!
where in australia are you from?

Septor

Welcome kim I hope that coming here helps you to understand what your going through and help you to feel better. :D