Herbal remedies and tablets to counter SA?

SilentAndShy

What are people's thoughts on tablets and herbal remedies to help calm anxiety?

A friend of mine recommended these as a possible avenue to try, to help calm me but am assuming if I took them on a regular basis, then they would only calm me temporarily?

And herbal remedies? He advised me St. Johns remedy aswell.

I guess if you've had SA for a long time then it's not going to be ideal on a long-term basis other than for a temporary release.

Thoughts?

WishingICould

The only herbal remedy I've tried was these tablets called Kalms. They didn't help my anxiety they just gave me nightmares. I'm not sure if I even believe that herbal remedies work.

SilentAndShy

The only herbal remedy I've tried was these tablets called Kalms. They didn't help my anxiety they just gave me nightmares. I'm not sure if I even believe that herbal remedies work.

Yeah, they are the ones I've linked in my first post. I might try them out, but without any real sense of confidence in them.

KiraKitty

I've not used Kalms, but I have used a similar product called Natracalm. I think they did help, although it could have been a placebo effect since they're the only type of medication I've tried (I can't bring myself to see a doctor).

I used to take them before work. I coped okay talking to my colleagues in the morning, but didn't take any with me to 'top-up' throughout the day. Later on, I would really struggle and by the end of my shift I was practically in tears. That pattern would reflect the effects of the tablets gradually wearing off, leading me to 'go it alone' by the evening.

rosewood

what little i recall from the Bastyr University textbooks regarding your situation:
when creating these herbal remedies your size, weight, body construction, ailment, and a host of other symptoms to look for that pertain only to you are to be considered when creating this remedy. Its needs to be tailored to you in order for it to work effectively.

if you could afford to see a naturopathic md, who could assess you on those items to look for (i dont remember what they all are, but they look you over pretty closely such as nails, and eyes) and then they make a reccommendation. I believe there are stores that sell carefully handcrafted tinctures, which could be one way to go, because the way the product is produced is everything. Even the time at which the plant is picked from the ground is important. (i got to see one- one time for free because the students needed to practice on a patient, otherwise i dont think insurance covers it)

because taking plant based pills such as St. Johns Wort, without knowing how and what the chemical is that reacts in your body could be bad. For instance, SJW is supposed to be used as a tea (or pill) for depression, but also can cause a woman to miscarry. some people are also allergic to it.

Super Supplements might be cheaper because they carry company lines rather than handcrafted, not sure of the effectiveness. The people who work there are usually Bastyr grads, at least around here.

Sorry for rambling so much... i hope something here helped. :shyness:

akala

I know of a friend who uses fish oil pills and said it helps but she's also doing other things like getting out more.