Helping others but not yourself

Remus

Staff member
Is it me or does anyone else have this, I seem to always be trying to help other people in my life with thier problmes, be it online or in the real world but taking little time to sort myself out.

when I have problems I'm absolutley crap at dealing with them but when its someone else I'm helping it seems to be a real aide.

My real life mate Gav said this about me once "I like hanging around you, I love you as a brother, you make me feel better about who I am, I always feel positive around you"

that maybe was one of the biggest compliments of my life but I dont get the same thing back.

maybe my own happiness inside is what I have to find and not rely on others

black_mamba

I can't indentify with this myself but I know of people who practically devote their entire lives towards doing favours for other people. I can see the benefits of it too, when I've got some sort of responsibility in front of me (e.g. having to look after a child) I always forget about my personal worries and just get on with life for their benefit.

My partner is one of these types and he confided in me once that although he enjoys making others happy, it was somewhat depressing that no one ever returned the favour. I think the reason he liked me was that I was the first person he met to make an effort to make him happy.

So it can be a very healthy thing as long as you're not missing out. Unfortunately helping others doesn't guarantee a return. :(

maggie

Remus...that is me totally...even at work, others come to me with issues, meanwhile... :roll: ..i'm so uncomfortable even being there :?