Help with depression

dannyboy65

I just need to vent... So to start off I have to live in an area that stresses me a lot. I don't have anyway out, I live in close quarters with my family who treat me like dirt, and I don't get to see the people I care about. Then I recently found out my girlfriend will be hardy able to see me till I start school in late October which makes me feel worse. Like I know she was going to be busy and I expected this yet I'm letting it bother me.

My mental illness's have been out of place, I can hardly eat, sleep is difficult for me, and my mind is restless. I feel like I'm putting stress on everyone I truly care about. My girlfriend a trying to support me and I know she cares. She is being very blunt but saying what I have to hear. I red tips on how to beat my depression until it controls me I can not afford to lose the people I love. I will do anything at all costs. Does anyone have tips?

rockchick46

I just write all my feelings down in a book, that I take with me everywhere. As I have SA & Depression, I had to step back from uni too get help. So I know how you are feeling. I just write all my feelings down, good, bad or anything that I am feeling. It helps me so maybe it may help you. Best of luck. 😀

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Depression.. yea, what a horrible thing it is.

I'm glad you acknowledge the fact you don't want to lose all those who are dear to you as it means you are willing to fight it. Finding the willpower to fight it is half the battle.

I've battled depression for many years now. Firstly you need to acknowledge you will have your bad days. Personally Ive found that acknowledging and accepting that you're having a bad day is important. It means you know why you're feeling the way you are and that you also know it wont last.

Self awareness when dealing with depression allows you to let it pass, like you are a bridge and you'll allow those depressive waters/feelings to flow underneath you. Acknowledge that clearer, calmer waters WILL return.

I realize self help books and reading is not everyone's 'cup of tea', but this self help book really helped me - because like you, I wanted to do everything I could to help myself.
Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman (9780733332241) | Buy online at Bookworld

Not everything in it will be applicable, but there is a lot of helpful and relevant information in it.
Get all the help you can from people who know how to deal with depression. But I would be wary of taking medication for your depression - unless it's severe enough and doctors strongly advise it.
Why do I say this? Because depression meds are like a band aid, they can cover up the wound but wont fix it. It also seems (from what you've said here) that your depression is largely caused by your situation.

Also exercise, get some sunshine, get outdoors now and then and eat well. I know these things actually do help.

I feel for you man. Depression sucks balls. It sounds like you aren't willing to just give in to your depression. You're a fighter. I admire that.

Oh, and also try to keep in mind that you are working toward making things better. Like building a house, it doesn't just happen in one shot. It's done brick by brick. Each day you 'self help', you're laying another brick. You'll get there. Good luck bro.