Help! I have a real problem.

Gibson_Player

Hello Everyone =]

So here's my story (i'll keep it short) Im 18 and I just graduated high school! I have Severe HH on my hands, arm pits, and a little on my feet. =/ Which im sure many of know, is VERY problematic and stressful. I manage, but its not easy and I change shirts at school around 3-4 times a day. Anyways, I've been accepted to the college I wanted to go to, UF (yess!), and it just dawned on me that I would share a bathroom with 4 guys and share a small bedroom with 1 guy.

This hit me like a brick wall, and now I dont know if Im going to go to that college anymore. I'd go to a community college instead and live at home where I have the privacy I need to cope with my HH. Its making me very depressed because its like HH is preventing me from enjoying life, and going to this amazing school that I worked VERY hard to get into.

Obvious things like, having all of my deodorants/antiperspirants and using them, sweating constantly (i dont wear a shirt at home because I sweat so much and I create big sweat spots in less then 5 mins), and not being secure with this problem are preventing me from going off to college and living the amazing life i worked very hard to earn. There are many other problems with this situation and my HH, but im sure i dont have to explain them to you all... you know how it is living with HH and can imagine(or have experienced) all the problems that come with sharing a small space.

So my question is Simple, how can I help control my HH so I can go off to college & enjoy life?

I've been reading this forums posts for quite a while and you all seem very content and proactive. So i thought i'd ask the experts! hah

I've tried products like drysol for my underarms, but they haven't worked very well so far. I wanted to try botox but i cant afford it and my insurance is lame. I wear uncomfortable undershirts with sweat pad's in them and they help some... but are expensive and dont work very well.

I've not tried anything for my hands except drysol, which again dose not work very well. =/

Any ideas? or advice would be very much appreciated!

blabla

First off, shoo away those crazy thoughts of not going to college 'cause your future roommate might find out about the amount you sweat. I mean come on, I don't think you really mean it... Plus, you'll probably be very good friends with the guy, it's okay to tell friends about it.

Second, there are promising cures like Retrodermal Curettage for underarms and Iontophoresis for hands (which you can easily do at home). Although Curettage is a bit expensive (about £1000 I believe) it seems like a permanent and effective solution.

For more info on Retrodermal Curettage, see this thread: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt22356.html

And Iontophoresis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc0pj2tf6_4

Luna222

I feel like I might not have gone to uni if I had to share a room. Why don't you get private rooms in America? :?

I'd keep trying different products and hopefully you will find one that works for you, and if you can hen it won't be such a problem for you hopefully. I've lived with my boyfriend for 2 years and I just hide my stuff in my wardrobe and apply it when he's not around.

If nothing works, is there no way you can have your own room?

HH

hi gibson_player (great guitar by the way-I like the les paul), anyway-sorry to hear about your situation.

You should definately give Iontophoresis a go-idromed or idrostar. Use it for a few months and see how you get on with it-there are also several things you can add in with the water to help (go to pinkers remedies and treatments link- all the info is there).

You can also use Iontophoresis for underarms-try that as well before resorting to curettage treatment.

BiGz

Ok really iontherposis is a good option, again you going to have a privacy issue with it as how can you hide it from the people you share rooms with. The alternative is to try be secretive or be open about your HH.

Heres the reality that I'm trying to come to terms with.... We have an impairment and usually people with impairments have to make sacrifices in life. Would going to a public college be as great a sacrifice as all that really? Or are you prepared to make a different kind of sacrifice and go to your college of choice and deal with whatever embarrassment hardship that may come your way? At the end of the day the choice is yours no matter what we say. YOU and only YOU know whats best for yourself.