Help an SA couple with an anxiety problem.

Jack-B

Aurorasky

I have bipolar disorder aswell. And have dealt with similar experiences with my girlfriend at that time.

You need to explain to your girlfriend that you are doing all you can to stay well and stable, going to the doctors, taking your mood stabilizer? etc. Keep her in the picture with how you feel and let her know you appreciate her being worried for you. Tell her also that she doesnt need to be anxious because you are monitoring your moods and for her sake, you wont risk having another episode.

She needs to follow your example by staying well herself for your sake. Although you are both dealing with your own problems there need not be more problems for both of you because of this.

Your girlfriend seems to be dependent on you being around for her to feel safe and calm. She needs to focus on overcoming her own problems so that she can be with or without you, anytime without feeling anxious. How she does that depends on how she sees you handling things. When my girlfriend used to freak out when i wasnt there, she'd become really anxious because she couldnt tell if i was taking my medication, if i was alright and so on. As soon as she understood i was all over it and that i was fine, she chilled out. You need to hammer the point home that you are on top of this, write a mood diary or chart, show her you have the support, put her mind at ease. Then tell her that she doesnt need to worry, she should try relaxing and this will help you to feel better. So you both stay well for each others sake.

Your girlfriend needs an understanding of 'her own space' for the relationship to work, else neither of you will be able to help each other. Is there anyone she can talk to or relate to she knows who has ME? Maybe she could listen to soothing music before she goes to bed??

Hope things work out.

Jack