hello, i'm jessie

hiimjessie

i've been agoraphobic on and off for a few years now and i'm only 19. I can't pinpoint when it started, but it's been pretty bad ever since.
I havn't left my apartment now for about a year except to go for rides with friends every once in a while, and only about a mile away from my place and then back. I won't get out of the car.
I live with my mom and my "boyfriend", and i'm a pretty social person. i don't mind meeting new people, and i like to drink and have a good time.
Every once in a while i get severely depressed, especially when i think that it's possible i might never leave my house again.
Right now i'm not on any medication because i can't afford it and i have no health insurance, So i'm in the process of trying to get on SSI.
I was wondering if anyone else is in the same situation where they can't leave the house at all, and if anyone has any advice.
thanks so much.

-jessie

George

Hey Jessie I'm pretty much like that myself been almost 7 years since I started feelin' horrible. Mostly when I'm faced with social situations,meeting people and speaking is a nightmare and avoided at all cost now, 18 I was when it started towards the end of college.
Past year or two I havent left the house, just not worth the hassle it causes nothing I've done seems to work for me nor does the help I've gotten from Doc's and therapist's.
I've just given up on the whole cure idea I just cant see it happening now.

This Agoraphobia has destoyed me in everyway, socialy, job searching e.t.c what annoys me most is people dont understand when its explained to them even one of the doctors I went to see said I was fine and capable of working! ummmm.

If it was not for my parents I would be on the streets now the help I've been given sucks bigtime.

Only advice I can give is seek help and dont leave it for years and years it becomes harder over time, well for me it did.

Chilling__Echo

all i can say it take it one step at a time! whether it be going outside and sitting on a sidewalk curb for five minutes and then going back inside, or goig somewhere with your friends. do they know your condition? if not, tell them, let them help you! take care

Cured_A

Hi Jessie i went through all you went through going in short visits in cars basically chasing my tail being in england we have a gp surgery which have clinical phychiatric nurse one to one my one was called helen and after 22 years of being agoraphobic i met helen the cpn within 18 months of dedicated work from helen and myself i can now lead a normal active life even going out on my own and this year i made a big achievement i went to south africa for 17 days and next year i am hoping to go to canada a tip i found very helpful was the tripod 3 easy stages
1 elastic band on left hand
2 favorite song in head
3 broach or pin in right colar

the idea of this is as panic rises flick the elastic band, sing the song, and touch the broach or pin with right hand, this method helps the brain close down panic by concentrating on the tripod as above
i have loads more information if you would like to know more do not hesitate to ask i would love to help others as i have been helped

remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.
A.

Rockbox

Hi babe i think we both have the same problem but im the opposite, as soon as i wake i need to leave the house i NEED to get out!, where i think you feel you can't leave the house.I bought this flat and made it look great but i suffer from anxiety attackd and can't stand to be in it where you have to be in it and can't go out...

it's a bad problem that doctore NEED to take more seriously!!!

Shattered

I have agoraphobia and was diagnosed with it last year.. i've only had it probably about a year know I guess. Although I suspect at times I may have had it earlier on. I did leave the house on occasion: to get booze and whatever drugs I could find. And that was the ONLY reason I left. I DID get to where I started stocking up when I bought alcohol or cigarettes, things like that.. so that I wouldn't have to go out as often. If I could have I'd have never left my house for the entire year.

But love got me to get on a plane and fly to another country to be with my wonderful fiance. I still don't go out much. But there is a want to.

rfnatboy

Pretty much same for me I only leave when I have to . But Ive found Im much more content this way rather than forcing the issue . Once you get past sociaties jugdement and do whats best for you Ive found Im pretty content Id say a 7 out of 10 . Compared to 1 out of 10 when forcing myself in to a mold I dont fit . But my docter says thats not so normal . But thats just me not so normal and Im perfectly content with that . Hope that helps .

rfnatboy

taws i recomend some prozac , i love the stuff there is no reason you should be sad if you dont have to be .

rfnatboy

that hilliarous how you set yourself up for that , how was i to know . once again i say prozac i love that shit .