Hello from Manchester (UK)

SteveW

I've just joined up here, having been told about the forum by a friend who is already registered. Without posting my life story, I'll try and say something about my situation...

I have always been a shy, reserved person and have always had things that made me nervous, such as a particular event or school-ground bullying, but I guess these are understandable and perhaps rational. However in December 2000, at age 13, I was in the back of my dad's car when it was hit from behind at near 40mph, needless to say the car was written off and I was lucky to escape with no serious injuries.

At the time, I was still able to get into a car and travel, despite my parents asking if I was ok. However, for some reason, something kept happening when I was travelling in a car - and I wasn't conciously thinking of anything...

On the occasions where the car was accelerating fast, or starting to dip down a steep hill, something would take over me which frustrated and confused me for several years. I would be met with my body suddenly tensing up - torso, legs, everything - to the point where even my eyes would water. This was just an automatic reaction to the situation and I have found it hard to explain to people.

I put up with that for years, until I passed my driving test and was able to, excitedly, drive my own car however and wherever I wanted. In my first year of driving, I drove to Birmingham (on my own), Peterborough, Southport, Leeds, as well as visiting mates in Stockport, Bury, Blackpool and I also started University, to which I commuted 10 miles each way.

However as of early 2007, I stopped going in other cars altogether and driving my own car began causing me problems. I'm now in the situation where I cannot drive (or generally go) far and am only marginally better taking a parent with me. I just become tense, my throat tightens, dry mouth, difficulty breathing, slight dizziness (things appear to rock about as I'm moving) and general feelings of dread which make me feel I don't want to go further.

Needless to say I had to come out of Uni as I just couldn't get there. I've seen two NHS mental health councellers - the first one left and the second one has referred me - I'm still waiting to see the next one.

So this is my current situation. I have been unhappy with myself - and have been treated like crap despite only being nice to people - for years, which has got me pretty depressed so I'm wondering if my anxiety issues are down to that.

Sorry to go on, I hope people might understand and would appreciate any advice. :)

Sad-Kitten

Hello, and welcome :D Sounds like you have had bad luck with people in the past? Hope you find this place helpful.