Helen Keller said:

LA-girl

'Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.'

Do you agree and do you think your own suffering has in some way shaped you into becoming a better person?

cLavain

LA-girl said:
Do you agree and do you think your own suffering has in some way shaped you into becoming a better person?
I used to think so, but now I doubt it. What does it mean to be a better person? I may be more understanding of other people's problems, but this seems to be more of a handicap than a strength. And as for success, well, I can't say that I have achieved much... Don't know how others feel, but suffering has just made me exhausted. A life of smooth sailing is probably better, all things considered. If you're satisfied with your life, then that gives you the surplus energy you need to care about others and achieve your own goals, if that's what being a better person means.

FlirtyandDirty

I don't think suffering has made me a better person. I feel that I am the same but what it has done is given me a strength I never knew was possible to posses. I also think it has made more empathetic, and it has definitely given me a drive for something more than what I had. I now believe that anything is possible and that any barriers are there of my own making. They may have been put there by others, but it's me that keeps them in the way. I have become more determined and ambitious.

Moonie

For me personally, suffering has helped me be a better person. I don't think I would be a dedicated, creative, persistent if I acted another way. Sure, I would have other opportunities, but I know I would probably slack off on my work, probably waste my time doing dumb stuff. I feel like because of my SA, I had to work harder- even in the most simplest tasks (which has made me appreciate the little things.)

LA-girl

Thank you all for your thoughts! :)

I'm not sure what to think of it myself though. I guess like Jinxed is saying that it depends tremendously on what kind of suffering we are going through and also that it affect each indivudual in different ways depending on their inherited personalities.

I also agree with cLavain when he says that this anxiety has led him to feel exhausted which also affects how much energy we have to dispose to others, although our problems ironically may have lead us to care more about other peoples problems. Quite a dilemma isn't it?! :roll:

Do we get stronger? Speaking for myself, yes I believe I have, in other areas than social ones obviously. One positive outcome is that I have learned to appreciate the little things in life and I can feel content and oftentimes happy about things that perhaps people who haven't been through much difficulties seem to miss.

--------------

And also for anyone who have never heard of Helen Keller (1880-1968), she was a woman who was both deaf and blind, but still accomplished to play a significant role in the social, political and cultural society. And through her work she managed to improve the life of people who shared her same destiny.