Heixi Therapy and Acceptance ???

glen108

I'm just trying to get an idea of the practical application of this method, so to those who are familiar with this Heixi Therapy can I ask,

How do I accept my social anxiety?.

What exactly do I need to do to accept it?

Right now as I'm typing this message I feel anxiety as I always do when I communicate with others. What do I need to do in this very moment to alleviate this anxious feeling?.

glen108 said:
I'm just trying to get an idea of the practical application of this method, so to those who are familiar with this Heixi Therapy can I ask,

How do I accept my social anxiety?.

What exactly do I need to do to accept it?

Right now as I'm typing this message I feel anxiety as I always do when I communicate with others. What do I need to do in this very moment to alleviate this anxious feeling?.

Acceptance is something you can learn. At first you might just notice anxiety and / or unwanted thoughts and feelings. You can become an impartial observer with practice. Eventually you'll embrace anxiety and all the other human emotions. It's not about alleviating, just the opposite. It's about making room in your life for your thoughts and emotions. Control is the problem not the solution.

glen108

O.k the last part of the paragraph reads cryptic to me which is why I posted this thread in first place. But the first part I understand, I think. So to elaborate, are you saying that I should focus my attention on the feeling of anxiety when it arises?. As oppose to trying to avoid, suppress or affect a change.

cosmosis

Hello,

I believe the idea of an impartial observer is that you do allow the emotions or anxiety in, but you dont make judgement about or try to act on it or dwell on it. Just understand that its there, see what its asking, but dont cater to it. Eventually if you stop feeding the flames, it will go away and come back weaker and not haunt you as much. It becomes much more manageable.

glen108

So if I watch my anxiety impartially when it arises then my social phobia will eventually diminish?. In practical terms is that all it is?.

Could anyone with experience confirm this?.

glen108 said:
So if I watch my anxiety impartially when it arises then my social phobia will eventually diminish?. In practical terms is that all it is?.

Hi im experienced. No, that wont work. Its bullshit. You've got this for life, belive that. It CANNOT be beaten, because society is always there to make it worse again. Sorry.

4seasons

Wedding-Carnage said:
glen108 said:

Hi im experienced. No, that wont work. Its bullshit. You've got this for life, belive that. It CANNOT be beaten, because society is always there to make it worse again. Sorry.
That was a pretty ignorent post.

glen108

Well I'm doubtful aswell, but some seem to think this acceptance thing works. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what you do. Acceptance is all well and good as word but how do you practise it?.

glen108 said:
Well I'm doubtful as well, but some seem to think this acceptance thing works. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what you do. Acceptance is all well and good as word but how do you practice it?.

Some say meditation is good. But I haven't really tried that much. Basically I practice acceptance daily by just going to interviews, jobs, classes, shopping, etc. I have anxiety, I notice it, I accept it, I keep doing what I'm doing.

Recently I strained / sprained my shoulder (not sure how, maybe new laptop weighs too much). And I've been in and out of intense pain for the last couple of days. Well I accepted the pain, but I also read up on shoulder pain, taken motrin and used ice packs to alleviate it. Today I'm my shoulder is better, less pain, more movement.

When we accept anxiety there are ways to alleviate it too. Deep breathing, visualization, mindfulness, exercise, chatting, posting, etc. all help alleviate social anxiety. But if we don't accept it first it makes everything thing else more difficult.

glen108

[quote="sabbath92002]Some say meditation is good. But I haven't really tried that much. Basically I practice acceptance daily by just going to interviews, jobs, classes, shopping, etc. I have anxiety, I notice it, I accept it, I keep doing what I'm doing.[/quote]

I've been doing much the same as you for years. I've overcome my depression that resulted from my social phobia but I still suffer the anxiety. I need to do something different. I need to affect a change in my thinking or perception if I'am to have any chance to alleviate this problem. When I was in my early twenties and working a full time job I think I assumed that I would just grow out it as I got older but I'm now 35 and I haven't improved. I don't think I'm going to grow out it any time soon so I figure I need to address this problem differently. Simply involving myself in social sitaution has not helped me, I think I've gotten worse actually.