Having trouble stopping the panic

Twink

As a teenager I suffered from panic attacks but was determined not to let them run my life and thought I had learned how to control them. Now at the age of 47 I have experienced a very stressful moment in my life. Last August I took my boyfriend to the doctor for some minor problems remember he was going to the doctor when all of a sudden this doctor turns around and asks me why im so yellow to make a long story short he did a blood test and then called me on the phone to tell me I like had no blood My blood count was so Low he couldnt believe i could even stand up. He asked me havent you been dizzy? I said yeah but then again im always dizzy and I jsut pass it off as a panic related thing and tried to forget it. Well then all hell broke loose and come to find out my boyfriend has B Cell lymphoma so for the last 4 months I have been taking care of him and living under a great deal of stress. Now that things are looking better for him Im finding that my panic disorder is back with a vengence.
Ive already ended up in the ER twice but am so affraid not to have my symptoms checked out due to the past blood loss thing that Im living in a complete world of freak out 24/7.
These panic attacks are completely crippling I have no sence of safety anywhere. I will be sitting watching TV when all of a sudden the room starts to move my heart starts to pound my eyes wont focus and the air in my lungs feels as if it is being sucked out of me by a vaccum . The the complete panic hits and all I want to do is run from what ever it is that is captivating me. The fear is so intence but I cannot for the sake of me tell you what im afraid of. Death? Not being able to breathe? Passing out?
I use to be so proud of myself for learning how to control these boughts but now Im afraid to even try to control them because maybe there really is something wrong?
The first trip to the hospitol was due to my heart going over 200 beats a minute which yes was part of the blood problem but also from the panic.
I get this heat flash that feels like im going to combust and then the movement feeling its almost like a vertigo feeling. Im sure that these have returned due to all the stress Ive been living under for the last 4 months but I really needs some help as to how to get control again over my lefe and my panic
Can anyone suggest anything?
Thanks Twink

jshubie

Hello,

Maybe reading my other post might help you a little bit. I understand your symptoms completely, as I have had all of them and them some. It is so terrifying, but trust me, it can be stopped. Read my other post (posted on 3/7/06 (jshubie)) about my herbal remedies. It might help you a little bit. I'll check back often, so feel free to write.

-best of luck

Twink

Thanks , I also am seeing a ND as I really dont want to medicate with adivan or xanex hell I wont even take a tylenol I am taking B vitamin supplements and of course Iron due to all the blood loss to try and rebuild my blood system.
Magnesium I guess I will have to check that one out and make sure I can use it with this other issue.
Today was actually the best day I have had in 2 weeks only had one this morning and I battled that demon for an hour .
Im starting to wonder if the blood count could be part of the problem of bringing them back on so strong.
Can I find these other things you mentioned on line?

Serge

Firstly am sorry to hear about all the health issues you guys have had to face recently. It sounds like a really intense and stressful time for you, and perhaps understandable why the panic attacks have returned. I would guess that it would be an idea to have a complete check up at the doctors to rule out anything physical and then consider that it could more than likely be a reaction to all the emotional stress of the last few months. Or perhaps is a mix of the two- health and stress? Am guessing and could be totally wrong - but maybe seeing someone to just talk about all of this could help??

Anyway wish you the best of luck with it all.

cammo

This may sound a bit cooky but I got it out of a book on the subject of panic attacks.
When you are having an attack splash water on your face - your brain thinks you are being submerged in water and therefore slows down your heart rate.
If you sit on the ground and bounce a tennis ball off a wall for a few minutes it really calms you down.

I have been using The Linden Method and have found it really helpful in putting everything in perspective and I've not had an attack since (it's a bit pricey though).

Remus

Staff member
I suffered panic disorder in 1990-92, then it returned again 2000-2003 after a breakdown, you have to do the challenges all over again and try to take control of the panic attacks, as you learned the first time they dont kill you, I guess these stressful situations have triggered them all off again, I should think when you get results back you may feel abit calmer, I know I would