Having panic attacks that wake me up every time i doze off!

cam94z28

For the last 2 nights, every time i start to doze off, I will have a panic attack, where It feels like someone is pinching or zapping the middle of my chest and I jerk awake. I don't even open my eyes or gasp for air so it's not sleep apnea causing it per se. This happens repeatedly over and over, within minutes of the previous and I am not gaining any sleep. I have short mini dreams right before the attacks and almost think I will doze off, then bam, I jerk awake with a panic feeling in my chest. I took blood pressure and pulse immediately after. Pulse was a little high, blood pressure was normal.
This usually happens when I'm overtired, or extremely worried/worked up over personal or life problems. I even tried taking a whole 10mg ambien, and although mellowing and spacing me out nicely, It didn't get me any sleep. The last time i tried to sleep, after several occurances, i started feeling tingly and kinda wierd so I gave up again.
Do I need an anxiety drug? Any over the counter stuff that might work as well as ambien but for anxiety/panic? I seem to be obsessing over the fact that I might have these attacks, which ends up bringing them on.

This is really freaking me out, and making it even harder to calm down enough to even try to sleep. I desperately need sleep but I'm even becoming afraid to try.

LisaD

I used to have panic attacks too.

I went through the same thing, cam94z28. I had to use self talk, identify what was bothersome to me, avoid negative input, and there is more... I'd love to help you. Contact me if you want help from me. [email protected]
Lisa

Babydoll07

I have got similar experiences to this aswell, I would be trying to go to sleep and everytime Id just be dropping off Id need to suddenly take a huge gasp of air like I hadnt been breathing at all and Id get so scared....this would happen loads of times during the night before I could get to sleep...it hasnt happened for awhile but I have noticed that alot of the time when Im waking up I just jump awake sort of like when you have them dreams that ur falling.....

I get that sometimes, not every night, but most for the past three weeks. It feels like I'm dozing off, then I get that falling feeling, almost as if I were going to fall into a coma, and I jump up in bed, catching my breath, most of the time I have to sit up, walk around for a bit, then I can finally find sleep.

Babydoll07

I know its horrible to get but being honest its nice to know Im not the only one who gets them like that aswell as what you would call ''ordinary'' panic attacks

cat16

Babydoll07 said:
I have got similar experiences to this aswell, I would be trying to go to sleep and everytime Id just be dropping off Id need to suddenly take a huge gasp of air like I hadnt been breathing at all and Id get so scared....this would happen loads of times during the night before I could get to sleep...it hasnt happened for awhile but I have noticed that alot of the time when Im waking up I just jump awake sort of like when you have them dreams that ur falling.....

thats exactly what i get. Its as though someone has their hand over my mouth and i have to sit up and take a deep breath

arjuna

I've been having similar experiences for years. Not really pain in the chest tho, it's more like having a vicious dog lying next to you. It depends it can also be like a tray smacking you in your face and the feeling staying there. When you wake up, you are in a state that is in between sleep and being awake. The anxiety and the allucinations are at their strongest in this situation. Anyway, I do not have any solutions, maybe just talking to people will reduce these experiences.