Have this ever happened to you?

DanielLewis

I'm sitting in class the other day and, as the teacher is talking to the class, I have ideas coming to mind about what I'd like to say in response to what my teacher is saying. In this class, the teacher is very open about allowing people to speak their minds whenever they want. It's very discussion-based. So, anyway, as thoughts came to my mind I felt the urge to speak up, but I didn't because I was too worried about what others will think. What got me mentally face-palming myself was that, thee different times, somebody else spoke up with the same idea I was thinking! They had the same thought, and it proved to me that my ideas aren't strange or not good enough. They're perfectly fine and I should've expressed them. Has this happened to you where you wanted to say something on your mind, hesitated, then decided not to only to see someone else speak the same idea?

This is good evidence for a few things. First, my thoughts, and neither yours if you've experienced this, are weird or not good enough. Also, even though I already knew this, it reaffirmed the idea that it's not so much what you say, but how you say it. See, I could've spoken up, but if I did so hesitantly and fearful of what others are thinking, it'll come out worse in everything from my voice tone and body language to how I form my sentences. Thus, it will be received worse from others. But, if you speak with confidence and really believe in yourself and what you're saying, it will come out a lot better. See, your internal state manifests itself externally.

Another example of this is in this same class when, in the first class, I had been in a constant state of nervousness, worry, and approval-seeking. When I spoke, it came off bad and others could sense this negative state I was in. It wasn't received well. You see, if you quit these mind games and let go of all this junk in your head and just be honest with people, speaking your mind and saying "This is who I am. Take it or leave it. I don't care," then you'll be more likeable. Also, if you want others to take an interest in you, take a genuine interest in them first. Give to others what you want in return. Give your love, and more people will be likely to give you theirs. Don't get butthurt for others not giving to you if you're not first giving to them.