hating people you don't know - SP symptom?

flopsy

hi everyone,

i'm the GF of an SP sufferer and he's extremely wary of people (more so when he's tired or stressed). He is also paranoid about anyone knowing about him or his life and generally doesn't like people on sight - even if he has never met them. I'm the opposite - people have to really piss me off before i'll write them off, i generally try to assume most people are nice/mean well to start with.

thing i'd love to know is whether other SP sufferers think this is a common feeling - being wary or even hating people you don't know - or if it's just a personal trait my BF has. i was thinking maybe it was some kind of defence against wanting to actually meet people in the first place, maybe?

sorry if it sounds like a dumb question!

flopsy

Toad

I would say I hate being around people...even people I'm close to, but I don't neccisarily hate them...but I also hate being alone all the time. Kinda a no win situation as you can see :?

introvert

On bad days, when I'm tired or stressed out I get the same thing. A 'bad' glance from someone is enough to make me think they are amused at my situation, and makes me really angry/cynical. In reality they probably weren't even looking at me and haven't the faintest clue what I'm going through. I also am slightly cynical towards people I view as being highly successful, but that's just jealousy/envy.

Vincent

Banned
I definately can relate to what you BF is going through.
I am filled with hate, it's based of jealousy and envy of people without anxiety problems. But also because I stare at strangers, and think like I should befriend them or date them, girls its usually lust, guys, jealousy. but a cold stare doesn't inspire either from them. I percieve this as rejection, and it happens ALL the time to me, because I stare and think this way. Because of this fabricated rejection I'm always experiencing, I feel hate, blind hate. So its a combination of these two factors. I always think of American History X and the quote "hatred is baggage", it is, its a waste of time, and not conducive to improving my situation. That's part of my focus now, to identify and question these thoughts. They are negative, and they are automatic, so they are ANTs, my ANTs are either towards myself or others, roughly equal amounts of both...

Anyone feel the same way or have the same take on this?

SilverLiner

It could be a part of his character trait that's blown up because of his SP. I find 'hate' a very strong word and although you find random strangers you may take a disliking to, I certainly wouldn't go as far as hating them. I usually take a disliking to 'in your face' characters, the type that treat the space around them like a stage and they're a comedian act. But most likely (like others have said) it's down to jealousy as I long to be the centre of attention and be the clown on stage.

thugaveli

I'm prejudice and i hate myself for it
I tend to judge someone on their behaviour, and it doesnt take me long to decide weather they are my kinda people or not

People who stare at you like youve trod in something really gets me p*ssed off especially druggies
The thing is i cant fight with words and i cant confront anyone so im straight in with the fists because i feel i cant control myself or i feel like im being attacked

Its not a nice feeling, i wish i could use words to end arguements!

Cryptolysergick

Im on and off on this, I feel I love all people, because they interest me, yet at times I do get quite misanthropic and curse everyone. I also always feel someone is being sarcastic when they say something nice about me so it leads to uneccessary grudges,

despise

yeah. im like that. whenever someone says something nice to me i assume it's a joke or sarcasm - i still do my fake smile and say thanks, but then i feel like crap. i think very horrible thoughts towards people when im stressing alot or freaking out. even though i agree hate is a very strong word, sometimes i really do think i hate complete strangers. to the point where i wish they were dead. after i think this i feel very guilty and beat myself up about it. i normally feel it in response to those who are perfect in every way but take advantage of it, and rub it in everyones face. i think mine's caused by anger i keep inside. it just builds up everyday.

Angie_05

I don't hate anybody but I get jealous like a lot of others have said. SP has held me back from a lot in my life, so when I see someone who has accomplished something I want, I automatically want to get away from them. It's painful to be around them because of my own disappointments and this can seem like I dislike them.

Like a few nights ago I was playing doubles tennis with some people. On the court next to us there was this little girl, about 12 years old, who was practicing with her coach and she was really good. I automatically felt jealousy and resentment towards her, even though I didn't know her. I have always wanted to be good at a sport and I am just now getting okay at tennis, and I'm 21. I wish I wasn't too scared to play a long time ago.