Hate Depending on others

AGlife

So it's Friday night, and the only way I ever feel good is if I have plans with other people. This is really typical, if I go out I'm happy in the short term, but if I stay home alone I get miserable and depressed. I hate the constant mood swings that follow from this...I dont like having to depend on others. I would like to be content just chilling at home, with no one but myself. I want to be able to be happy on my own... How do i change this belief in me.

Luthien

It just takes time. Telling yourself good things, and figuring out why you don't want to be alone. I've been doing this inner child therapy stuff where I write to my inner child every day and try to give her what she is seeking from others. I've found it to be super helpful. My little me wants friends and for people to like her, and so I tell her that I like her! And I offer to do fun things with her like make art or do puzzles.

Perhaps if you planned your Friday night like it was a date with yourself (the inner child thing helps me because I would never intentionally bail on a little kid or ignore them to go to the bar, for some reason it's easier to give her attention when I imagine her as an actual child) Plan something fun to do. If you like art, try to get wrapped up in it! Find some engaging project to get sucked into.

I never want to go out, I would so much rather stay home because I really like to be alone and I have a million things I want to do at all times (paint, make dolls, stretch, do yoga, play video games, do a puzzle, sing and dance, play guitar, the list goes on and on) I think if you can find things that you enjoy doing alone, then the time will just fly by!

(if you want to read more about my experience figuring out the inner child stuff, you could check out my blog: Little me Over Under )