Has exposure therapy helped you?

My parents really want me to start getting out more to conquer my fears and anxiety, but every time I try I end up feeling worse about myself. They think that if I just go out and expose myself to social situations then it will get better. It doesn't really work that way for me. I still have the same anxiety every time. I'm just wondering if anybody has had any luck with it.

froghat

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. Like you said, I just felt feeling worse after I went out. I'm trying CBT with my therapist now. I need to change the way I look at things before I expose my self to new things. Maybe you should try CBT.

villacjs

froghat said:
Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. Like you said, I just felt feeling worse after I went out. I'm trying CBT with my therapist now. I need to change the way I look at things before I expose my self to new things. Maybe you should try CBT.

I had been doing CBT therapy for about a year (so approx 15 sessions) I still have found it difficult to apply what you learn from CBT to real life. I still think the med/CBT combo is the best bet for most people.

livingnsilence

From my expierence exposure doesn't really work. If it is something completely new that is nothing like I have ever done before exposing myself will decrease the anxiety some (situations like this are very rare I encounter them maybe a couple times a year) but after the first time it doesn't matter how much I expose myself I'm not going to get better, sometimes I even get worse (like with the phone, and IMing).

TAMPA-BAY

exposure thearaphy

Have to have the right tools. I like everyone has been told a million time "you have to get out more" only to crash and burn.

Blind exposer thearapy with outh the proper tools is just a dead end street.

First you have to lean a little more about this disorder and then try it. There is even a web site called (Meetup.com) There are groups for social anxiety and shyness. I run one in my city and it goes realy well. I am alwayse amazed at how talkative shy people are when they are together.

No one is ever shy when they feel safe. Oh and your already doing the right thing by joining a site like this.